Fatality in the Vandenberg Wreck, Key West Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wreck + penetration +“solo”/ leaving buddy + no redundancy + no guideline + beyond knowledge/experience

=
Recipe for Disaster

New certified OW diver here. Was paired up with a new certified OW diver to dive a wreck in FL. First certified dive for "both" of us. Dive plan was that I would lead the dive. Buddy decides to enter wreck and swim through. Motions me to follow, which I do not, just wait for him to return. This happened twice. Fortunately no disaster.

Once back on the boat I informed this younger gentleman that I am not his father, and if he had got himself in trouble then I would not endanger myself to rescue him.

New certified OW diver here. Was paired up with a new certified OW diver to dive a wreck in FL. First certified dive for "both" of us. Dive plan was that I would lead the dive. Buddy decides to enter wreck and swim through. Motions me to follow, which I do not, just wait for him to return. This happened twice. Fortunately no disaster.

Once back on the boat I informed this younger gentleman that I am not his father, and if he had got himself in trouble then I would not endanger myself to rescue him.
I would have told everyone present that I would not want to be buddied with this person again.

It’s not ideal for you as well: if you get in trouble nobody is there to help you, he is also putting you in danger.

You were in danger from the moment the divemaster said "you are buddying with him". From not only the physical danger but from possibly being sued for damages if he had an accident.

You were in danger from the moment the divemaster said "you are buddying with him". From not only the physical danger but from possibly being sued for damages if he had an accident.
How does that work ?

Surely you are not required by law to risk your life to save someone else ?

New certified OW diver here. Was paired up with a new certified OW diver to dive a wreck in FL.

Sounds like a recipe for a lovely 30 ft. reef bimble. :) For a FL wreck (especially one of big popular ones) it's a combo that never should have splashed. Most divers push their envelope from time to time. It's how we learn and gain experience, but knowing when to do it and when not to (i.e. with another new diver both exceeding their previous experience) is when the 10 lb. weight on your shoulders needs to kick in. All IMHO, YMMV.

How does that work ?

Surely you are not required by law to risk your life to save someone else ?
Because you don't need to assume liability for someone to sue you in the US. Doesn't mean they are right; doesn't mean they will win; just means you will need to mount a defense.

This does not state the diver in the wreck even saw his buddy trying to thumb the dive yet people are saying he ignored his buddy. There is zero evidence to support that.
By definition, if you don't even notice your buddy thumbing the dive, then you're definitely ignoring them. Whether it is passive or aggressive, failing to honor the thumb is a no-no.

People who die in scuba diving accidents leave behind people who have this annoying tendency to sue anyone even remotely connected to the incident.
So like another poster said, they can sue you even if there is no proof that you broke any law ?

Back
Top Bottom