Bonaire first timers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just finished 2 weeks at Delfins villa. We were really happy with it. It will also be a lot better next year as they are still completing. We have 2 kids though so the pool etc was great. Funny thing is that we only saw/spoke to one American couple the whole 2 weeks on the resort. 90% Dutch I would say. Heavy euro vibe from the place. nice and hands off as a resort. Polite ‘bon dia’ To others and that was pretty much it..house reef was average but they have a really nice beach they have built up. Liked that salt pier was very close. I’ll go there again probably..

Should add I rented a stick from budget and tank package from divefriends.

Both were fine. Liked having a lot of fill locations with divefriends, but I only chose them as they were onsite.

Didn’t seem like anyone else’s rental trucks were any better or worse than budget..

...but they have a really nice beach they have built up.

Did they just enhance it, or is it man-made all the way? Are we talking a shore 'beach' but then iron shore where the water starts, or is it a 'real' beach with a gradual sandy slope out into the water for wading?

Adults laying out sunning in lounge chairs may not care. Kids who like to wade in at the beach will.

Completely man made, it’s about 15/20 feet back from the shoreline they have a wall built up around 3 feet out of coral and cement.

The whole area including beach sunloungers/bar and restauraunt etc is filled with fine coral sand...I have no idea where they sourced the sand from (I know this is quite a controversial issue) but it’s really nice and deep. Kids dug down about 2 feet and it was still sand.. I’d say there are sun beds on the beach for 100 and a big beach volleyball court at the southern end.

Bar isn’t ‘Carib dive bar’ it’s more ‘ballierics/Ibiza’ bar with sundown cocktails and bottles of wine etc. There were clearly a few honeymooners around.

They have a really nice swimming area in the ocean as well. Big soft sand and smooth rock area once you get in through the coral beach. There is a channel that is more coral than ironshore ( think entry to salt pier)

Also a big pontoon about 150ft from shore for swimmers/snorkellers.

Apparently their dock will be finished this year:

So to answer your question, no it’s not sand all the way into the water. Sand till the wall, then 2/3ft drop down to coral beach and entry, but coral to soft footing. You can get in and out in bare feet. I went in with my kids without anything on my feet. You are walking over smooth coral stones. Sort of like windsock.

I wouldn’t recommend barefoot though...just saying it can be done.

IIRC from one of the @scubadada trip reports, Sand Dollar (Den Lamen is adjacent) has a small sandy beach area, which is a bit unusual in Bonaire.

It's just on the other side of the pier, with a roped-off swimming area that probably even passes for "confined water" -- DFB has classes there. Den Laman's side of the pier is sand well, but not quite as cosy.

IIRC from one of the @scubadada trip reports, Sand Dollar (Den Lamen is adjacent) has a small sandy beach area, which is a bit unusual in Bonaire. If that appeals to either of you.

I've actually got my eye on Sand Dollar Condo.s for a hoped for return trip, Lord willing and providing. Solo - if my wife and our little girl were going, that little beach would be a big deal

Someone's post in another thread reminded me - in Bonaire for whatever reason, the little hand 'washcloths' we're used to in America aren't a thing. You get regular towels and hand towels, but not washcloths. At least as of when I was there (not since 2014). Mosquitos going after your legs when you dine out evenings are a thing. Take some pump action mosquito spray, and be mindful higher concentrations of DEET can break down plastics, so watch it around some of your gear.

Places I've stayed in Bonaire at times used solar-powered water heating systems. It was okay, but the 'hot' water wasn't markedly hot. Also with an eye toward conserving (money, at least), cleaning ladies might turn off your AC if you're not there during the day (look'in at you, Buddy Dive Resort). Don't be shocked if you get back from diving and your place is rather hot one day. Electricity is expensive in Bonaire.

Richard.
Thanks for advice very helpful

Can I ask what people do with their phones when diving?

I never take mine with me to the sites as I don't get service there anyway. I have not been with anyone who brought one with them. If it isn't something I won't miss (cheap sunglasses, ugly hat, water bottle etc.) it needs to be able to handle submersion cuz it's going with me.

Sorry, I don't mean to be flippant, but I leave mine at the apartment. I haven't found a foolproof way of splashing with it, and I'm not comfy leaving it in the truck. After multiple trips I've never needed it while diving, but I guess there is always a first time. :) I do carry a bit of cash, a cc, drivers lic, and keys in a small "waterproof" (most of the time) box. LOL...my wife just reminded me of one time it would have been handy, but I was able to flag down a passing diver and got a lift back to the apartment. By and large divers are pretty nice folks. One of the reasons I enjoy it so much. Gotta luv dive freedom. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom