Fatality in the Vandenberg Wreck, Key West Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So like another poster said, they can sue you even if there is no proof that you broke any law ?
I've been sued for what someone living in Canada said about a fatal accident in the Maldives. So sure, you can be sued for just about anything, by anyone willing to spend the time and money to legally assault you. It sucks, but until we have tort reform here in the US, that's a fact of life here.

So like another poster said, they can sue you even if there is no proof that you broke any law ?

Apparently it's worse: you may want to review the Good Samaritan laws in a given jurisdiction before you give someone CPR there. (Edit) or not.

I've been sued for what someone living in Canada said about a fatal accident in the Maldives. So sure, you can be sued for just about anything, by anyone willing to spend the time and money to legally assault you. It sucks, but until we have tort reform here in the US, that's a fact of life here.
One reason my wife and I carry a substantial personal liability insurance policy, at least while we're still living in the US.

Apparently it's worse: you may want to review the Good Samaritan laws in a given jurisdiction before you give someone CPR there.
A coworker rescued a kid from a creek. The boy was unconscious and unresponsive. He'd been submerged in a cold creek for a while. Coworker gave the child CPR and he revived before the EMT crew arrived. Unfortunately it had taken a while for his parents, who were watching a football game, to notice he was gone, start looking for him, and call for help and the boy had some brain damage. Parents initiated a lawsuit against the rescuer but it didn't go anywhere.

Truly frivolous lawsuits usually don't go very far. It still sucks to get hit with one, but a claim that's ridiculous on its face shouldn't even go to trial.

Parents initiated a lawsuit against the rescuer but it didn't go anywhere.

What, like, nobody ever heard of it, no records, no lawyer fees, nobody lost any sleep about anything?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom