Diving Mexico: great whites and massive schools of fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, simply amazing! Your composition of the shots is really good, and I love the natural colours you have too. My favourite shot was the whaleshark from above, around 4.10.
Could you tell us a little bit about the equipment you used please? It looks like you manually white balanced throughout, but it would be really interesting to know which camera and lenses you used etc.
Thanks for sharing!
Cheers,
Matt

Great video and wow that is a lot of fish!

Could you tell us a little bit about the equipment you used please? It looks like you manually white balanced throughout, but it would be really interesting to know which camera and lenses you used etc.
Thanks!
Camera used was a Sony RX100Mk3 with a Fantasea AOI UWL09 wetlense for most of the wide shots.
And you were right, all manual whitebalancing.

Epic!

Fantastic and wonderful video:cheers::thumb::heart:

A short video from my trip to Isla Guadalupe and Cabo Pulmo:

May I assume that you were in a cage for the great white footage?

That was something when the seal went down to the shark as if it was going to tease but changed mind.

I would definitely be interested in a write-up about traveling to, staying and diving in the area. Looks like it’s very close to Cabo San Lucas but not sure about traveling to the island. Wikipedia has it listed as a “closed town” that requires a permit. If you have time.

May I assume that you were in a cage for the great white footage?
You assume right. Leaving the cages is not allowed.
I would definitely be interested in a write-up about traveling to, staying and diving in the area. Looks like it’s very close to Cabo San Lucas but not sure about traveling to the island. Wikipedia has it listed as a “closed town” that requires a permit. If you have time.
It's pretty straight forward.

The first part was Cabo Pulmo, which is a tiny village down a few dusty roads from Los Cabos. You can do day trips to there from the Los Cabos area, or stay in Cabo Pulmo itself, which I did for quite a few days. Not much to do besides diving and hiking there. Note that diving can be canceled due to weather on short notice, so if you wanna be sure to get enough dives in plan some time here.

To Isla Guadalupe (great whites) your only way to get there is via liveaboard. Liveaboards often leave from Ensenada, which is a short drive from Tijuana. Most of the trips are 5 days, so one day out, three days in the water, one day back. You cannot go onto the island itself.

So what I did was fly into Los Cabos, stayed at Cabo Pulmo for a good week, took a direct flight up to Tijuana and went to Ensenada, did the liveaboard trip to Guadalupe, and afterwards flew back out from Tijuana.

You assume right. Leaving the cages is not allowed.

It's pretty straight forward.

The first part was Cabo Pulmo, which is a tiny village down a few dusty roads from Los Cabos. You can do day trips to there from the Los Cabos area, or stay in Cabo Pulmo itself, which I did for quite a few days. Not much to do besides diving and hiking there. Note that diving can be canceled due to weather on short notice, so if you wanna be sure to get enough dives in plan some time here.

To Isla Guadalupe (great whites) your only way to get there is via liveaboard. Liveaboards often leave from Ensenada, which is a short drive from Tijuana. Most of the trips are 5 days, so one day out, three days in the water, one day back. You cannot go onto the island itself.

So what I did was fly into Los Cabos, stayed at Cabo Pulmo for a good week, took a direct flight up to Tijuana and went to Ensenada, did the liveaboard trip to Guadalupe, and afterwards flew back out from Tijuana.
Thanks for that. Probably wouldn’t be interested in doing a live aboard at this point but Cabo Pulmo has my interest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom