Considering a new dive computer..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a small part but still a big investment. I'm not a car guy but everyone enjoys luxury even if you dont use it to the max :)

Realistically if you dive in low vis much and can really use the tft/oled display, you're looking at a garmin-shearwater-ratio level (and $$ tag) computer anyway. About the only cheaper alternative is the cosmiq but it's not getting many rave reviews.

There's also a couple of Korean smartwatch-type offerings that nobody knows anything about and I don't think they're that much cheaper than the birdixes.

...There's also a couple of Korean smartwatch-type offerings that nobody knows anything about and I don't think they're that much cheaper than the birdixes.

I recently had an opportunity to dive a Watoom Cyano, it is a deeply flawed computer. It was going for $299 at the time DGX removed it from their website. I had high hopes for this computer, it was not to be.

I would strongly recommend giving the Scubapro G2 a close look. It is an excellent value right now with a free transmitter included with the wrist unit.

Because when every shearwater sold comes with The Dad Who Knows Better built-in, your example will make a perfectly good argument. Until then what you should consider is not being there: your daughter comes up from a dive and realizes her computer did not compute her accrued gas loading correctly. You are not there to guesstimate the conservatism for the subsequent dives, and she is not trained to do so herself. What would you rather she does next:
a) keep diving like nothing's the matter, or
b) sits out the rest of the day, perhaps reading up on deco theory and use of tables?

How very pessimistic of you. We will have to agree to disagree, I will place my faith in people over computers when it comes to making decisions every time. Letting a computers have agency and control your actions rather than informing them will never be an acceptable answer to me.

My buddy bought the Cosmiq for his girlfriend and him because he wanted to save money as a new diver. (he owns 3 racing Porsches that he actually races) One flooded on the first dive so I let him dive the week with my backup Perdix. He bought two Terics as soon as he got home.

My buddy bought the Cosmiq for his girlfriend and him because he wanted to save money as a new diver. (he owns 3 racing Porsches that he actually races) One flooded on the first dive so I let him dive the week with my backup Perdix. He bought two Terics as soon as he got home.
DGX dropped the Cosmiq for that problem. We still don't have an inexpensive reliable, computer running Buhlmann with GF, even just presets. There is a market for these, I was hoping the Cyano would fit the bill, but utter failure

DGX dropped the Cosmiq for that problem. We still don't have an inexpensive reliable, computer running Buhlmann with GF, even just presets. There is a market for these, I was hoping the Cyano would fit the bill, but utter failure
I had high hope on Deep 6 but the project fizzle out eventually. Pity.

My suggestion to the OP:
Buy another cheapo to back up your i300C under water.
LP has Oceanic Veo 2.0($230.00) or Geo($270.00) and both models offer dual algorithm(DSAT and PZ+). DSAT is more liberal than PZ+.

It's a great computer, but it is definitely overkill for a rec diver, and I say that as a rec diver who has 2 Perdixes (Perdi?) in the house, one for me, one for Mr. OOO. Do you need something that fancy and expensive? Probably not, but it is a great rec diving (and tech diving, if you ever go down that route) computer if you decide that it is within your budget and you are okay spending that kind of money. You won't outgrow it.

I’m curious is their anything else close to it?Do you know if the Teric outperforms the perdrix ?

I wouldn't consider the price difference in the decision.

Something to keep in mind with the Teric vs the Perdix, apart from the different form factor/size, are charging and the running costs. You do need to remember to charge the Teric. Should the batteries on the Teric completely die, you will lose tissue data. As it is a lithium battery, after many charges and discharges, the useful life and capacity of the battery will decrease. After a number of years (Shearwater estimates about 5 under normal use), you will need to have it replaced and it is not user replaceable. It's about $100 CAD + shipping to do this.

For a Perdix, you don't need to worry about charging it and any AA form battery will work. You will get 40-80 hours of dive time (approximately) depending on which battery you use. All batteries are user replaceable. You will not lose tissue data when a new battery is being put in and it is also safe to do this during repetitive diving.

It is purely personal preference. Choose the one that works for you.

I have a Shearwater Perdix & Petrel. The way I look at it as you'll never outgrow it...meaning it can do OC or CC (if you decide down the line you want to go OC technical or CC). You can add up to 5 gasses if you become a tech diver...or just stay recreational. If you stay recreational, but dive Nitrox, you could just add those gasses (regular air, 32% or for a deeper dive 25%; then just turn on the gas you're using) - it's a great computer! I especially like it for its display - easy to read and bigger #s (we're all getting older!). It's also super easy to navigate thru the settings!

One more thing...it'll be wasting money if you decide to take your diving further sticking to a recreational computer...then you'll be paying for 2 computers. You don't want to regret not getting what you want. I've done that plenty of times and now I don't! :)

We still don't have an inexpensive reliable, computer running Buhlmann with GF, even just presets. There is a market for these...

Evidently not: if there really was a demand...

Back
Top Bottom