Wannabe diver here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tenacity

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello all! Joined this board to (hopefully) gain knowledge, and, to be honest, some confidence as I begin my journey to obtain my Open Water Certification. I just started the course yesterday. Aced the class portion, but when it came time for the pool dive, embarrassingly, and much to my own disappointment, I panicked. I did not like the feeling of breathing through the regulator, and being under water. UGHHH! I have waited so long to do this, and my BF (who already has his dive card) and I are planning an amazing trip sailing through the Caribbean, with the hopes of diving along the way. I REALLY want to get through this, but I am struggling!
One of the dive instructors took a lot of time with me yesterday, doing nothing but camping out in the shallow end, underwater, breathing through the regulator. By the end of the class, I was “ok” just sitting there breathing, but the thought of having to do it in 60ft of water, where I can’t just rush to the surface if something doesn’t feel right, does not sit well. How am I going to get through all the skills needed to be a diver, and enjoy all the amazing things I have been missing under the sea?! I have overcome MANY fears, in order to enjoy adventures that life has to offer - I overcame a horrific fear of heights to climb Devil’s Bridge in Sedona, and paraglide to 3000 ft in Costa Rica. I took a very hairy swim in a class IV rapid, and got back in the boat to continue our whitewater trip. I enjoyed all of it. I want to do this. Suggestions on how to get through scuba, would be greatly appreciated. Happy to be here, and hope I can stay.

it's not uncommon. the more you do it, the more natural it will feel. You need to persist and remember that no-one should be rushing you. When you aren't in the pool, get in the bath with a snorkel. seriously, it's just a case of getting used to the feeling that you aren't actually going to drown. plan one class as nothing other than sitting at the bottom of the pool for 45 mins on a regulator.

It may take you more time, but there's a good chance you'll make it through. Be honest with yourself and instructor (great that the instructor was willing to work with you).

I panicked. I did not like the feeling of breathing through the regulator,

Psychology aside, can you describe what you didn't like about breathing through the regulator?

Take it in small steps. Every scuba diver had to go through this and some take longer than others, which isn't something to be ashamed of. You've got a patient instructor from the sound of it, so there's no rush, really. Additionally, may I commend you on your amazing track record of fears you've conquered? I believe, given time, you'll enjoy scuba diving as well.

First of all, great job taking on your fears head on!

Don’t be so hard on yourself! Breathing underwater is not normal. Some people take to it right away, some just need a little more time for it too feel normal.

Just a couple thoughts. Does your BF have regs and tank you can use? Maybe just sit on the couch with mask and breathing off a reg for a couple hours would help. Then just take your time.

Perhaps the excitement of the trip is putting pressure on you to catch up to your BFs level too soon? Many divers stay in the <30’ range for quite a few dives before dropping deeper.

Also practicing share air drills with your BF might build confidence that you can rely on him for air instead of a rush to the surface.

Last thought.. what kind of gear were you using? Unfortunately, I have seen a lot of crappy rental gear. Might want to see if you can demo some nice newer gear and see if you feel any better. *this can be a real problem, with a crappy breathing reg, or might just be psychological if they set you up with something that does not inspire confidence.

And don’t forget to have fun!

:)

I agree give it some time. Stay in the shallow end. After you get your card some of my best dives have been at 15 feet.

Well, at first, it was that I didn’t feel like I was getting enough air, like I couldn’t take a deep enough breath (I think I expected the air to be a little more free-flowing, not that I would have to suck it out). After I kind of got over that, I started thinking about being deeper, and that I couldn’t just escape, if I felt like I needed to. I do not want to be 60ft deep, and then panic. Perhaps I am getting ahead of myself, but I felt like if I couldn’t even be totally comfortable just breathing, then how would I ever be able to complete other skills. Honestly, ever saw this fear coming.

You are not alone!
Humans do not belong under the water, and our reptile brain reminds us of it whenever we let it. That is the task, really...
...getting excited by the cerebral joy of all there is to see and experience...
...feeling the sense of accomplishment of overcoming your fear...
...staying in control when the inevitable little problem arises, so that you can, for example, clear the mask that some clumsy diver just pushed off your face with his fin, without letting your reptile brain hurt you with an instinctive (yet incorrect and dangerous) reaction.

It will be SO MUCH FUN on your vacation. It's worth it. Trust me, your reaction is more common than you know. Everyone feels that way, and the baby steps in the pool will give you the confidence you need. Your concerns will almost certainly subside. It sounds like your instructor took exactly the right steps. Trust him or her. Hang in there. The payoff is joyous!

Oh, and having to suck off your reg? It may well be that your rental equipment is not tuned as well as it might be. Yes, you have to trigger the valve, and you will get used to that. But if it doesn't just "flow", get a tech you trust to check the "cracking effort". It should be no more than 1.2" water pressure. If not, ask for a new set of gear. Don't just accept your instructor's comment that "it's okay." He or she may not have well-tuned gear either!

Also practicing share air drills with your BF might build confidence that you can rely on him for air instead of a rush to the surface.

That’s a good idea! He only has basic gear - no BCD/regulator. We have a pool; is it possible to rent gear to use for a day??

Last thought.. what kind of gear were you using? Unfortunately, I have seen a lot of crappy rental gear. Might want to see if you can demo some nice newer gear and see if you feel any better. *this can be a real problem, with a crappy breathing reg, or might just be psychological if they set you up with something that does not inspire confidence.

I had the dive shop help me pick out proper gear. The class provides the kit, but I have my own dive fins/boots/mask/snorkel.

And don’t forget to have fun!

:)[/QUOTE]

BTW, welcome to Scubaboard!!
Don't hesitate to ask more questions, just like you did on your first go. As long as you have a thick skin for some of our blunter posters' responses, you'll eventually receive an answer you can trust. There is a lot of great info here.

Keep posting!

Back
Top Bottom