Suunto Gekko Nitrox Setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

virtualRuben

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I've got an old Suunto Gekko dive computer. I dived with nitrox a few days ago and now the mode won't go back to air, no matter what I've tried. It's not too serious since I can just set it to 21% which is basically air but it's still bothering me a bit. The rest of the settings work just fine.

You can still download the manual from Suunto's website.

IIRC, go to settings, select mode, then set, then the model, air

Keep it at Nitrox mode and set Nitrox 21% when using air.

You can still download the manual from Suunto's website.

IIRC, go to settings, select mode, then set, then the model, air
Yeah, I still have the manual and I've tried this. It's as if the air model is removed? I'm just worried if this is an indication that my computer doesn't work that well anymore...

If I recall correctly, the computer, once used in a mode other than "air" cannot be changed back to Air mode until the no-fly time counter has cleared.

If it has been a couple of days since you have dived or swam with your computer then perhaps the depth sensor is defective and has registered a dive when one was not performed. There was a class action lawsuit regarding Suunto and problematic depth sensors in the puck style computers.

-Z

If I recall correctly, the computer, once used in a mode other than "air" cannot be changed back to Air mode until the no-fly time counter has cleared.
You recall correctly. It's standard for several of Suunto's rec DCs.

If it has been a couple of days since you have dived or swam with your computer then perhaps the depth sensor is defective and has registered a dive when one was not performed. There was a class action lawsuit regarding Suunto and problematic depth sensors in the puck style computers.

-Z
I get it now. I have dived every day since then and that's why the air setting won't show. Thank you for this info! Must have glanced over it in the manual...

I have dived every day since then and that's why the air setting won't show.
If you're nitrox certified and dive nitrox once in a while, there's no reason to set your DC back to air. A Suunto goes back to 21% after a certain period of time. No matter what you set your Suunto to, it's set for nitrox 21 (AKA air) the next day. Switching between air and EAN is just a PITA. Just leave it in nitrox mode and check that it's set to 21% when your tank contains plain old air.

If you're nitrox certified and dive nitrox once in a while, there's no reason to set your DC back to air. A Suunto goes back to 21% after a certain period of time. No matter what you set your Suunto to, it's set for nitrox 21 (AKA air) the next day. Switching between air and EAN is just a PITA. Just leave it in nitrox mode and check that it's set to 21% when your tank contains plain old air.
I got it, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom