Reflecting on Limes in Beers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I first saw people putting a slice of lime in Corona (and later Sol) I figured it was to mask what beer aficionados would recognize as the "skunky" flavor that results from beer being "light struck"--a reaction that occurs because the clear bottle allows too much light to penetrate. Brown bottles protect beer against this effect. For this reason, very few beers are sold in clear bottles. There are a few brewers that use an additive (or modified hop oils or something to that effect) to protect beers in clear bottles--Miller High Life, for example. The few times I have tried to drink it, Corona tasted skunked to me, and I dislike it with or without a lime. Like many of you beer lovers, in Coz it's usually Bohemia Obscura for me.

Lime in beer is like nitrox, some people see the benefit and some don't. Personally I skip it 99% of the time it's offered. I won't drink Corona but Sol is OK. I prefer Pacifico or Modelo because the beer itself is well balanced, lots of German influence in many Mexican beers if you look at the history.

There's a difference between "limes in beers" and "lime in beer".

Ric seems to have been focusing on the weird practice of shoving a lime wedge into the neck of a beer bottle, which isn't a Mexican thing.

Lime juice in beer, though, is a very popular Mexican thing. Order a chelada and you'll get a glass of some sort with ice and a lot of lime juice (usually the equivalent of at least two limes) into which you can pour whatever beer you selected ("chelada de..." Bohemia Oscura, Sol, whatever). These are delicious and refreshing.

in Coz it's usually Bohemia Obscura for me.

Bohemia Oscura is what we usually keep in the fridge, if you're around during the right season definitely go for Noche Buena.

Yes, fridge. Mexicans drink beer cold and even over ice. It's perfectly fine cold. We're not talking abbey ales here.

My properly stocked Coz Fridge:

8maSyblpSo5ZyGDHrCDZsfQIZob1QTtEW00YOuf_qD1lz5llO88RQpCqVfZrwcXIH24VhNNLUCFFwMi348A=w607-h809-no.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom