Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always felt safe on my multiple bug diving trips with Truth Aquatics. This is a horrific tragedy.. My heart goes out to those lost and their families. Also to the crew who I truly believe did all they could do.

While I have not been on this boat I have been on other So.Cal boats that have similar guest quarters. There are most always two points of egress. The main one is the stairs but there is also one via a bunk to the top deck. I have never particularly liked that secondary egress because one has to crawl up into the bunk then out. Which might be fine under normal circumstances but not when all hell has broke lose.

I haven't dove in several years so I haven't been here in quite a long time. This afternoon's news however drew me back as I'm sure there will be people here who know those involved. My deepest sympathies to the families of the lost, my hopes that they are found, and hopes that someone is found alive.

I've been on a few lobs that only have one staircase but they all had an escape hatch too. That said, I can't imagine trying to get out that way under these conditions with that many people, assuming any of them had the opportunity to try for either the stairs or the hatch.

We have only dived on one Live Aboard, though multiple times.
I do not recall a single discussion of alternate emergency exits on the orientation for our trips, which reading of this tragedy is making me really think about the What If's!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom