Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is. There are so many I usually don't bother to recharge, just use what I have charged and carry extra regular AA's. Of course I'm not a photographer, just point and shoot so my non-diving friends can see why I'm crazy.

I would not bet against a no charging at night precautionary measure untill they sort out the reason for the fire.

Bob
Seems like I remember reading an article a while back saying that NASA had had real concerns about lithium batteries and had found a workaround.

The battery charging speculation is of great concern to me as well. Even the current Halon requirement for FAA extinguishers seems to be inadequate, according to this video.

A fixed fire suppression system installed aboard; a clear and enforceable policy of where and what kind of rechargeable batteries are permitted on a vessel; clearly marked and accessible emergency exits from any hold, multiple handheld fire extinguishers on deck, fire drill given on all voyages, these are some of the policies that should be incorporated in all LOB dive operations.

Such a tragedy, my heart goes out to all of those lost and affected by this event.

A strong case for requiring a fireproof enclosure with an automatic suppression system like a halon cartridge for battery charging on these vessels could probably be built just on the basis of lab tests like these.

https://www.amazon.com/Bat-safe-Lip...ocphy=9026915&hvtargid=pla-625433628445&psc=1

PULSE Lipo-Lithium Battery Charging Safe Box

Seems like I remember reading an article a while back saying that NASA had had real concerns about lithium batteries and had found a workaround.
There are a bunch of different electrolyte and other parts that a 'lithium battery' can use and they have different characteristics for charging, discharge, costs and failure modes.

People are reacting with emotions throughout this thread and that is understandable, up to a point. It seems these boats were quite capable of operating for many years without horrific incidents such as this one.

I think it best to not pass judgment or lay blame until the facts are known. Same goes for proposing solutions to a problem that isn't yet known.

As many people have said, this is a logical fallacy. Drunk drivers likely drive intoxicated a lot before killing someone. They think they are safer because they've never had an accident (proof they are safe) of course, we know that isn't true.

I thought about this incident a lot last night, I really didn’t sleep well. I get up and see it all over the news again.
I’ve been running theories over and over in my mind about what could have caught fire so fast and what could have been an ignition source.
I’m thinking it was a battery in a charger that ignited. The huge fuel source I think was a large grouping of boat coats hanging directly in the area of a battery charging counter. I’ve never been on the Conception, but from a few photos that have been posted I saw boat coats hanging in the gangway into the salon. Boat coats are made 100% out of synthetic material that I seriously doubt have any fire retardant qualities. Maybe someone with prior experience on the Conception can fill us in on the proximity of clothing hanging area and battery charging area?
I don’t know if we are allowed to speculate and discuss yet, if not moderators please delete as you see fit.

Many synthetics do not burn easily. They melt, but don't burn. It depends on what type of fabric.

CG: Roger, are they locked inside the boat?

Vessel: (Unintelligible)

CG: Roger, can you get back on board and unlock the doors so they can get off?

Vessel: (Unintelligible)

CG: Roger, you don't have any firefighting gear at all, no fire extinguishers or anything?”

It seems that the coastguard operator was hearing the replies clearly... this is very ominous. Surely they didn’t lock the hatch?

I don't necessarily think the operator was hearing the replies clearly. They were trying to throw out suggestions to help in a panicked and unclear situation.

It’s not a myth. It really was that. Someone was comparing the cost of the trip with Truth to that of liveaboard diving that is usually more expensive. I wanted to give perspective that it is appropriately priced given the food/living/dive logistics and quality are completely different. I have been on it and that is what it is.

I agree the tragedy is not about the dive aspects but the post suggested a tone of “you get what you pay for and it’s too good to be true/skepticism should be exhibited” manner and I felt compelled to clarify the arrangements because many people see the word “liveaboard” and associate it with something completely different. It was appropriately priced for what it offered and it is not to be compared to usual liveaboards.

Honestly, the price isn't that much cheaper. 650 for 3 days, which is over 200/night.

A taxi is something that takes you from A to B, no other services provided.

That doesn't mean that an op who takes you from A to B with no other services provided shouldn't provide proper safety during the ride.

Exactly. This would be like a taxi that had the doors being unable to be opened from the inside, no seatbelts, no airbags. There is a minimum standard of safety that is needed.

Another thought, even if the batteries weren't the source of the fire, once they are superheated by fire, they could then provide a lot of fuel.

I think that is a function of a move to a new location. From what it appears the company is now located in Winters CA., not Santa Cruz according to their "Contact Us" section of their website.

Checked Internet yesterday - The business was registered in Winters, CA (near Sacramento) - for the diving trip, they had posted to send checks to a PO Box in Twin Bridges, CA (near lake Tahoe) and the dive leader/organizer was from Santa Cruz. They did not have a bus leaving from any central location in Northern California for this trip. The instructions were to meet in Santa Barbara. However, press conference yesterday said that the Sacramento Coroner's office was involved.

Another thought, even if the batteries weren't the source of the fire, once they are superheated by fire, they could then provide a lot of fuel.

They would have also had a limited amount of O2 in pony bottles in first aid kits. That went up when heated, too. I wonder where those were stored?

The rapid spread is concerning, as mentioned.

Is there a crew activated fire alarm public address/horn/bell on such boats? Such that from the bridge, or various spaces, you can activate the equivalent of 'Fire Fire Fire' repeating, so all are awake and assessing the situation. That would seem the thing to activate if a fire, that you knew of, lasted more than say 10 seconds.

Or, 'battle lanterns', compartment lights feed by mains power but with internal batteries they switch over to on main power loss?

Checked Internet yesterday - The business was registered in Winters, CA (near Sacramento) - for the diving trip, they had posted to send checks to a PO Box in Twin Bridges, CA (near lake Tahoe) and the dive leader/organizer was from Santa Cruz. They did not have a bus leaving from any central location in Northern California for this trip. The instructions were to meet in Santa Barbara. However, press conference yesterday said that the Sacramento Coroner's office was involved.

Probably due to the number of dead and the difficulty of identification.

The boat had been chartered by an aggregator. A few would have known one another, but the PAX list would be spread out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom