How about them groupers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I feel ridiculously self centered for even asking that when people are still in the path of this monster, and lives are being lost. But I do want to check in. We ended up booking back to back weekends first in Jupiter, then Key Largo. Jupiter is part work trip, then my husband is meeting me in Orlando and we are heading down for the Goliath groupers. This is all supposed to happen the 14th &15th. (My work trip is the 11-13th in Orlando, and I’m hoping that won’t be affected.) Anyways, do you all think the Groupers will still be aggregating? Do you think boats will be back out that soon? Will viz be so bad that we won’t be able to see the car sized grouper a foot in front of us? Should we scrap diving and try to find some way to help cleanup? At this point it looks like the monster is going to turn north so Jupiter is out of the danger zone, blessedly.

Anyways, thanks for sharing any insights you might have.

From what I've seen, at least some dive charters are assuming they will be back out on the water Sept. 5. Now, what the conditions will be like then and whether the goliath groupers will have scattered from the storm, I don't know.

YES! Please go just as you had planned. Your business is much needed and I'm sure will be incredibly appreciated!

I know the Keys are back open for business now and ready to receive guests. Conditions will be great by the time you get there :clapping:

We are definitely still coming. Fingers crossed that the groupers his out in the area. :)

I'm sure you will have a GREAT time! Be sure to come back and let us know :)

I was scheduled to pay a visit to the Castor wreck tomorrow, but got a call from the operator informing me that the trip has been canceled. I’d hoped to assess the conditions and behavior in the wake of Hurricane Dorian, and continue to photograph the Goliath Grouper aggregation which got off to such a good start this season. It’s been a week since I made my last Goliath dive off of Jupiter, and I intended to post my impressions here. If I get out in the near future I’ll see if this thread is still active and leave a brief status report.

I was scheduled to pay a visit to the Castor wreck tomorrow, but got a call from the operator informing me that the trip has been canceled. I’d hoped to assess the conditions and behavior in the wake of Hurricane Dorian, and continue to photograph the Goliath Grouper aggregation which got off to such a good start this season. It’s been a week since I made my last Goliath dive off of Jupiter, and I intended to post my impressions here. If I get out in the near future I’ll see if this thread is still active and leave a brief status report.

Thanks!

I was scheduled tomorrow for a GG dive with Jupiter Dive Center.

They just called and stated all dive trips cancelled tomorrow Sept 7, due to poor viz still...

Hoping for better conditions soon!!!

I feel ridiculously self centered for even asking that when people are still in the path of this monster, and lives are being lost. But I do want to check in. We ended up booking back to back weekends first in Jupiter, then Key Largo. Jupiter is part work trip, then my husband is meeting me in Orlando and we are heading down for the Goliath groupers. This is all supposed to happen the 14th &15th. (My work trip is the 11-13th in Orlando, and I’m hoping that won’t be affected.) Anyways, do you all think the Groupers will still be aggregating? Do you think boats will be back out that soon? Will viz be so bad that we won’t be able to see the car sized grouper a foot in front of us? Should we scrap diving and try to find some way to help cleanup? At this point it looks like the monster is going to turn north so Jupiter is out of the danger zone, blessedly.

Anyways, thanks for sharing any insights you might have.

I was scheduled tomorrow for a GG dive with Jupiter Dive Center.

They just called and stated all dive trips cancelled tomorrow Sept 7, due to poor viz still...

Hoping for better conditions soon!!!

I'll be back down and diving the 13th-18th. Plan on going out with JDC on 13th, Loggerhead in BB on the 14th and 15th, UE in BB on the 16th-18th. The 16th is sold out, join me on the 17th and/or 18th for a dive on the Castor

.Anyways, thanks for sharing any insights you might have.
I'm diving Jupiter tomorrow (9/6) on our boat so we can play 'Marco-Polo' and find some viz. Reports today said the Hole in the Wall (deeper stuff) had 10ft viz south current and the main ledge had 5ft viz. But tomorrow the current will switch around to the north and that will bring in the clean up water. Sunday and Monday starts east winds and that will push in more clean water. Jupiter's currents and viz change every day,,,that's why we keep in touch with all the captains to get the scoop so call your dive boat mid-week. The BEST NEWS is they never opened the Flood gates the whole time to dump dirty water. My guess is Weds Sept 11th you'll see reports of 50ft viz on the wreck trek where the GG's hang out.
I'm going diving tomorrow instead of sitting at home with cabin fever. Everyone knows it's more spooky fun in the dark !!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom