Diver nearly drowns off Redondo Beach in Des Moines, WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the diver ran out of air? And then went into cardiac arrest again? The two different accounts confuse me, but I'm just about to get coffee.

Other divers in his group got him to shore. Fish and game pulled him onto their boat. Maybe there were two divers having OOA/heart attack emergencies at the same time. Or maybe it's just another example of terrible journalism.

Here is yet another account of the accident....

Scuba diver suffers life-threatening injuries after nearly drowning off Des Moines beach

Short summary:

- Ran out of air at 90 feet
- Had trouble getting to the surface with his buddy
- Buddy called for help (this part isn't really clear -- somehow divers knew to start looking for him.)
- Other divers searched for him and found him on the bottom within about 3 minutes
- Rescuers got him to the surface where he was pulled about a Fish and Game boat
- CPR succeeded in getting a pulse back
- Went back into cardiac arrest on way to the hospital (or after he got to the hospital.)

I completed my PADI Rescue Diver at this site earlier this year. Sure makes me think about how I would have reacted if I happened to have been there. Hope he recovered from this.

Unfortunately I saw a post on a local Facebook diving group that said the victim did not survive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom