Does the Halcyon Focus 2.0 have reliability issues?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OrenH

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a primary light and was thinking about the Halcyon Focus 2.0. A friend of mine said his Focus 2.0 LEDs kept burning even after Halcyon replaced it for him (eventually giving him a refund).

I tried searching the web for similar issues and could only find any complaints really, so I'm wondering do other people suffer the same? Can anyone share some bad experience with the light? How reliable is it?

Thanks!

My Focus 2's LED burned out too but was replaced for free (long after warranty) and has been fine since. One of my dive buddies had the same thing happen but 3 times. Halcyon/EE replaced it for free each time and they figured out that there was a bad batch of LEDs.

Almost everyone in my dive group has a Focus 2 and no one has had issues since the original bad batch of LEDs.

One of the things I don't like is the on/off switch. It's super easy for crud to get into it and that makes using the switch a pain. FWIW, when my switch got to that point it was also when the LED went and they cleaned that too. I think you can order a Focus 2 with the standard switch on the canister.

My Focus 2's LED burned out too but was replaced for free (long after warranty) and has been fine since. One of my dive buddies had the same thing happen but 3 times. Halcyon/EE replaced it for free each time and they figured out that there was a bad batch of LEDs.

Almost everyone in my dive group has a Focus 2 and no one has had issues since the original bad batch of LEDs.

One of the things I don't like is the on/off switch. It's super easy for crud to get into it and that makes using the switch a pain. FWIW, when my switch got to that point it was also when the LED went and they cleaned that too. I think you can order a Focus 2 with the standard switch on the canister.

For what that light costs, I sure hope there are no reliability issues! I recently bought a second one, so my wife and I could have matched lights for our Intro to Cave course. The first one is a couple of years old. So far, no issues with either light.

That switch is indeed an odd design, and mine has been rendered briefly inoperable more than once by sand trapped in it. I presume they gave a lot of thought to that switch design.

I have several friends with the burned LED problem too. So frequent that i decided to buy the focus 1 instead as i saw that it was plenty bright in the cave anyway.

Thanks for the replies guys.
I think I'll get one and hope it was indeed a bad batch of LEDs and not something consistent. If it does happen, let's hope Halcyon will have me covered (not ordering via EE but a local dive shop).

Thanks for the replies guys.
I think I'll get one and hope it was indeed a bad batch of LEDs and not something consistent. If it does happen, let's hope Halcyon will have me covered (not ordering via EE but a local dive shop).

I'm sure that LEDs as components are so well quality tested before and in production line that LED dies are not issues.
Problem is to provide a good ( and SHORT !) thermal path between hot and cold side.

I got a Focus 2.0 from EE a couple months ago, finally got home to look at it and the LED's were burned straight out of the box. interestingly enough, it just looked like a square section was taken out of the corner of a couple of the diodes.

The replacement is in the mail as we speak, as Halcyon wants to take a look at it. All it took was a picture sent to EE and they took care of it. We'll see what the next one looks like. Supposed to arrive Monday.

Mine is supposed to arrive in a few days, hope it won't have the same issue.
@JohnnyC how did you see it? is it visible to the naked eye?

Mine is supposed to arrive in a few days, hope it won't have the same issue.
@JohnnyC how did you see it? is it visible to the naked eye?

Yes, it was easily visible. When focused down to its tightest setting, you can see the four diodes. Two of the diodes appeared to have small chunks taken out of the corners.

I received the new one a couple days ago and it is flawless, the old one is on its way back to Halcyon for their perusal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom