Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 souls were recovered that had injury consistent with drowning early on, it is possible that they did escape the berthing area but by the time the got out and off the boat into the water they were incapacitated enough by smoke etc they succumbed.
I recall that being reported, but I also recall reading something about requirng DNA identification at the time, which suggests severe injuries (burns?). It's also very possible that news at the time was inaccurate; for instance I can see news about bodies found in the water becoming 'drowned' in a news message. (not saying that did happen, just saying it's possible for that to happen. Remember news also keeps mentioning oxygen in our tanks).

I see no reason to even go near the suggestion of people 'want to ignore that'...

Having been following the accident thread pretty closely, much of the focus seems to be on the exits.

The exits available in an emergency certainly could be improved, but I believe the real focus needs to be on the fire itself, the cause and whatever contributed to it quickly closing off both escape routes.

If Lithium battery charging is found to be the root cause of the fire, then the dive industry, and possibly all marine vessel may need to consider banning this type of battery.
If not an outright ban, moving all charging stations to a less central area that can not block the main emergency exit, and certainly not both in case of an explosion and fire in that area, sounds like a wise move.
I now vividly recall the wonderful camera room, mid section on the one LA I did, where these tables were right at the top of the one staircase from below.
If Lithium batteries do prove to be the root cause of this tragedy, how we handle them may be more important that what exits we create. A camera battery fire certainly should not be able to close off all exits for escape.
Nobody's pictures trumps anyone else's right to live.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some degree of speculation is to be expected on a thread like this, however I have now read some speculation that is frankly objectionable and hurtful to living loved ones who may be reading these posts. As the pictures of the deceased come out, remember that these people were doing what did loved, were loved by their families and are going to be missed terribly by their friends and families. So please do not post objectionable material. Stay to the facts and respect all those involved.

ABOVE ALL: Please DON'T blame anyone for the accident until the facts are throroughly investigated and made public.

I see no reason to even go near the suggestion of people 'want to ignore that'...

Maybe "underemphasize" is a better word. Having drowned victims outside of the boat doesn't fit the theory of a very fast spreading catastrophic fire that so many in this thread seem to give credit to, despite the fact that there is pretty much zero evidence that the fire spread fast enough to prevent everyone below deck from using the exits or even waking up.

If Lithium battery charging is found to be the root cause of the fire, then the dive industry, and possibly all marine vessel may need to consider banning this type of battery.

I don't think that's a viable solution and I seriously doubt it would be considered... that would effectively ban the use of dive lights, DPVs, and cameras altogether.

One of the my heroes in life is Elisabeth Kubler-Ross who stated “Guilt is perhaps the most painful companion to death.”- We do not need to blame others for the accident as it creates guilt which has profound effects on a person. As stated above, please DON'T blame anyone for the accident until the facts are thoroughly investigated and made public.

Maybe "underemphasize" is a better word. Having drowned victims outside of the boat doesn't fit the theory of a very fast spreading catastrophic fire that so many in this thread seem to give credit to, despite the fact that there is pretty much zero evidence that the fire spread fast enough to prevent everyone below deck from using the exits or even waking up.
It doesn't necessarity go against it either, especially if it's just 4 out of 34. Much depends on various details, most of which are either second-hand (or worse), or will not be released to the public in detail (for obvious reasons). It could just as validly be argued some overemphasize that.

4 souls were recovered that had injury consistent with drowning early on, it is possible that they did escape the berthing area but by the time the got out and off the boat into the water they were incapacitated enough by smoke etc they succumbed.

I would agree that's very plausible.

It is unfortunate that both exits from the passenger cabin entered the same space, obviously there are limitations on a boat

[speculation] I wonder also if perhaps the emergency hatch was opened (perhaps people exited that way) it had the untended and unforeseeable (for the passengers) action of creating a chimney effect, thus accelerating the spread of flames down the stair well.

If this had been a hotel room, then there would have been a fire door to the sleeping compartment which would have been required to hold back fire for a certain amount of time.

Obv this is a boat and has different needs and operations requirements, but I can't help thinking that the open nature is large contributory factor

A point that most here seem to want to ignore, Ive also brought it up a few times...

They were reported to have the appearance of injuries consistent with drowning, but the actual cause of death couldn't possible be determined for sure by first responders. And I would think that being able to tell from external appearances whether they actually drowned or succumbed to smoke inhalation would be unlikely on scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom