Wakatobi Pelagian RIBs and ladders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishCity

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi.
We are considering going back to Wakatobi in a year, staying on Pelagian.
One concern I have is using the RIBs. I have two knee replacements, am an older woman. Some RIB ladders are problematic for me in that I can't get a grip high enough to pull myself standing and climb in. I will ask them, but wonder if anyone recalls what the ladders looked like?
The big boats the landbased trips used were no problem, wood ladders.
Other than the metal ladder thing, knees are doing great.
Thanks!

Hi.
We are considering going back to Wakatobi in a year, staying on Pelagian.
One concern I have is using the RIBs. I have two knee replacements, am an older woman. Some RIB ladders are problematic for me in that I can't get a grip high enough to pull myself standing and climb in. I will ask them, but wonder if anyone recalls what the ladders looked like?
The big boats the landbased trips used were no problem, wood ladders.
Other than the metal ladder thing, knees are doing great.
Thanks!

I agree with you and since I am 6'6" (1.98m) I have a similar problem, Even though I do hand my gear up.

Other than that I prefer the RIBs.

- Bill

I have this photo of the RIB.

Attachments

• IMG_0748.jpg
    IMG_0748.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 117
Did you stay on the Pelagian last time? If not, just my two cents that it is a wonderful experience and takes you to a much more diverse dive experience. My memory of the RIBs was that, because there was usually no surface waves during exit, even the oldest of us were able to get on board without an issue. Moreover, in the same way the land based operation will do anything to help get you into and out of the water, the RIB driver and the DM will do the same. Hope it works out for you. Wife and I plan to go back when we hit our 70s because it will one of the few Indo places that we know we'll still be able to dive with creaky knees, backs, etc.

Rob

We've done the Pelagian twice - including last year at 69 years of age and have reservations for next year at 71. I completely agree - the staff will do whatever needs doing for you to have a fantastic trip. They turned the Pelagian such that there was no surge when climbing into or out of the RIBs.

Thanks everybody. Last time we stayed on land. @abernat thanks so much for that photo of the ladder! I think it will be ok, it has the side handles above the side of the RIB.
I will be almost 70 when we go :)

Well, we are booked for this October on Pelagian!
Just got back from a trip to Raja Ampat and Spice Islands. I honestly thought Wakatobi snorkel trips were better but that night be site selection.

Well, we are booked for this October on Pelagian!
Just got back from a trip to Raja Ampat and Spice Islands. I honestly thought Wakatobi snorkel trips were better but that night be site selection.

We are going to Wakatobi for a week at resort and a week on the Pelagian fairly soon (before you go). I'll be able to confirm whats what for you.

We also just did spice islands on Damai II - we loved the boat and the diving on that itinerary, except the one dive that was so cold (64f) - that was pretty rough in a 3mm hah!

Back
Top Bottom