NON-rechargeable battery light options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm pretty old school, which means I bought good stuff back in the 80's and lots of it still works, but I use Princeton tec and Pelican lights that take 4 C cells or 4 AA.

I was gonna order the sealife mini900 yesterday when I gots to thinkin'....

I have that light and love it. I also tend to leave my batteries charging overnight. Won’t do they any longer.

A HUGE issue in the area of dive lights is the almost exclusive focus on the LIGHT. The light is garbage without a GOOD battery. The battery will soon be garbage without a good charger. And the whole package is kind of tenuous and potentially dangerous if the operator doesn't understand the basic principals, use, care, and what constitutes abuse of all 3 components, especially the charger and battery.

Ignorance about batteries and chargers is a significant and pervasive problem. Purchasing of crap components is common. Devious/deceptive marketing on the net, eBay, and China is rampant. Sucking in uninformed purchasers is dead easy. In fact, they are often SO uninformed they think they got a really good deal. It IS hard to sort out the decent from the junk. I've seen junk batteries being sold on line by mainstream reputable dealers. I'm sure they thought they were doing their customers a service. Often the working staff is poorly informed.

THAT is the real recipe for disaster, NOT Li-on batteries and chargers by themselves.

Good to know there are non-rechargeable battery light options. Thanks!

A HUGE issue in the area of dive lights is the almost exclusive focus on the LIGHT. The light is garbage without a GOOD battery. The battery will soon be garbage without a good charger. And the whole package is kind of tenuous and potentially dangerous if the operator doesn't understand the basic principals, use, care, and what constitutes abuse of all 3 components, especially the charger and battery.

Ignorance about batteries and chargers is a significant and pervasive problem. Purchasing of crap components is common. Devious/deceptive marketing on the net, eBay, and China is rampant. Sucking in uninformed purchasers is dead easy. In fact, they are often SO uninformed they think they got a really good deal. It IS hard to sort out the decent from the junk. I've seen junk batteries being sold on line by mainstream reputable dealers. I'm sure they thought they were doing their customers a service. Often the working staff is poorly informed.

THAT is the real recipe for disaster, NOT Li-on batteries and chargers by themselves.

I have lights that take the 18650 from SeaLife, Deep6, DGX. I've only gotten extra batteries from DGX, as Amazon is just a mess trying to figure out which batteries are legit. I've also only used the chargers from DGX and maybe Deep6. I have a nice 2 battery one that I can't remember came with which light.

I've also been thinking about non-rechargeable light options, especially when flying. I'm liking the idea of buying AAs or Cs at my destination and just leaving them behind at the end of the trip.

This was my first light that has now become my car key fob holder when diving. I might put it back into service as my dive light. It has decent power but not super blinding. 8 AAs inside.

https://www.leisurepro.com/p-ptctl3/princeton-tec-330-lumens-torrent-led-dive-light

This was my second light. Just as bright as most of the lights using 18650s. It's a twist on which is a little bit of a pain, but I don't turn my light on and off a lot underwater. It does approach the fish bashing baton size though.

https://www.amazon.com/1000-Lumen-Dive-Light/dp/B00EVG10CQ

@GJC

Yes, traveling would be an excellent reason to get non-rechargeable lights. I'm in international shipping, and the battery stuff with air cargo is crazy. I've had customers think they can just throw lithium ion batteries (not in a gadget) in a shipment, not tell anyone about it, and not complete the proper dangerous goods declarations.

liionwholesale or imrbatteries have a good selection

I just received some 18650s from Li-Ion Wholesale, which I ordered because of the opinions on SB as to their quality. My intent was to replace the no-name batteries that came with my DGX lights, which were starting to worry me for no real reason. I was surprised that the Li-Ion Wholesale batteries are their own “Li-Ion Wholesale” brand. But I guess they are good quality.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom