Drysuit diving and considering weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kate K

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all, I am considering adjusting my weight system and would really appreciate some feedback before I spend money!

I dive in a drysuit in temperate water (Ohio and Pennsylvania quarries). And while I have my total amount of weight about right (still fine tuning with a new drysuit) my problem is this: my BC integrated weight pouches are basically full to the MAX and I have real difficulty actually getting them INTO my BC (an Oceanic Hera).

I was thinking of adding a weight belt, either a rubber one or one with velcro pouches. The weight would then be divided 1/3 on the belt (and pouches on my tank bank) and 2/3 in the integrated BC pockets. I think this may help my trim a bit too, which is always a plus!

Thoughts? Advice?
thank you in advance!!

I'll second that. It was a game-changer for me. I really like being able to keep some weight on me to offset the buoyancy of the drysuit. This is the most comfortable and most effective way I've found to do so. Plus, the pair of pockets per side allows you some more flexibility with regard to the distribution of your ballast. It's convenient to change your weights if you change your undergarments. One of the other benefits that I don't hear talked about as often is the ability to remove weight from one or two pockets (i.e. just enough to not be negative) in the event of a problem instead of pulling the handles and going for a ride. :wink:

so the DUI weight harness is comfortable? I was looking at it and DUI's soft weight belt.
I just wonder how bulky it is because my BC has a decent amount of padding on the sides. It looks like it is very adjustable in terms of torso length (which is good because I am a short gal with a short torso!)

But my idea to divide my weight up is ok?

so the DUI weight harness is comfortable? I was looking at it and DUI's soft weight belt.
I just wonder how bulky it is because my BC has a decent amount of padding on the sides. It looks like it is very adjustable in terms of torso length (which is good because I am a short gal with a short torso!)

But my idea to divide my weight up is ok?

Kate, I'm 5'5" and round (L/XL size drysuit). I require 29 lbs with drysuit with a single steel HP80 and 23 lbs with my HP80 steel doubles. I am VERY buoyant. The DUI weight harness is much more comfortable than a weight belt, which I've only worn once during my recent Intro to Tech class (as instructor wanted to get weight off my belt). I have hips. Weight belt with hard weights wasn't that comfy. Weight harness is so much better.

I put the harness to be just below my steel backplate. Tends to put the harness belt on my hips

Changing to a BP/W made my weight distribution much easier for me when diving dry. I was very happy to get rid of my weight belt.

I use a DIY harness made with weight belt buckles a weight belt and harness webbing, works great.

I was going to suggest a pocket weight belt with soft weights. That is what I'm currently using. I require about 28 pound of weights with my drysuit. Someone gave me a Pinnacle Comfo weight belt with velcro pockets and I already had soft weights (5, 4, 3 and 2 pounders).

I did have the XSScuba weight pockets which thread onto a harness or tank strap. Used those once. Came up the line in strong current (so no free ascent) but felt really light for some reason. Shortly after I got back on the boat someone came back and ask if anyone lost 5 pound soft weight... turns out the velcro failed and I accidentally drop a 5 pound weight. So if you do go velcro weight belt, make sure it has good velcro.

But hearing everyone here say the DUI weight harness is a better option has me wondering. I've been using the weight belt for 2 years and it seems fine to me. However, I was just going through my boxes of stuff and found I bought a DUI weight harness and never used it. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend. :)

Rubber weight belt with 1lb. weights as needed with heavy double fleece in -50 degrees water. (when too lazy to switch from AL to SS plate)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom