Shearwater Teric vs. Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darcimus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So here's the scoop. I have two Suunto Vypers (one that's 6 years old, the other 15) that are on their last legs. The younger one crapped out at the dive shop when I took some gear in for service. The older one hasn't (yet) but I figure it won't be too long as both developed issues with the temperature sensors at around the same time (won't read colder water accurately, but will read warmer water just fine.)

Huish Outdoor (Suunto in Canada) can't do anything for me. They said the Vypers are legacy computers and they can't fix the sensors as they are both out of warranty. Even if I paid for work to be done, they wouldn't be able to fix them for some reason. I was left thinking that I was being pressured to buy a new computer, so I will.

A Shearwater. (Take that, Suunto).

I'm torn between the Perdix and Teric. For the time being, I'm a rec diver. Cold and warm water. Wet and dry. Deep (within rec limits). Looking to do sidemount in the next year or two, and also strongly considering full cave. Probably go pro at some time in the future to help with retirement plans (don't plan on retiring....just leaving my current line of work at retirement age.) I know both can likely handle whatever I can toss at them.

Not going to 100% base my decision on what a bunch of strangers say, but I'm interested in knowing a few things about both, like what battery life is like, especially on the Teric, for those that use it as their daily watch. (If I wear it the day of a dive how fast will it charge before the dive so it doesn't die during the dive, etc.) Also, if I'm going on a trip (like to Little Cayman in January) should I take along a big Walmart sized case of AA batteries for the Perdix, or will two or three spares be good enough? I know both have capability to connect to two transmitters, and both seem to have really easy to use menus, and both have easy to read displays. I like that the Perdix isn't going to take up my whole arm with a gigantic screen, but I like the Teric's size also.

Can the Teric connect to your phone and receive texts, calls, etc.? Won't be disappointed if it doesn't as my current watch takes care of that nicely, just a nice to know.

Anything else I haven't thought of that might sway me in either direction, feel free to chime in. Like I said, I'm not going to make the decision based on what anyone says, but I'm still pretty 50/50 right now, and if anyone has anything to add that I haven't thought of, it would be appreciated.

So I was faced with the same choice and ended up going the Perdix.

Mainly because of the size of the screen. I'm just a fan of the larger screens. They just are much easier to read, especially if you've got a leaking or no mask etc.
The two button format is the biggest down-fall for the Perdix, but I find that once underwater, it works like a charm. It's definately not as nice to use on the surface as the Teric is, but as a dedicated dive computer I prefer it.

I also prefer using a AA battery over re-charging. A single AA will last you a months diving, get a SAFT and it will last you a year, but even worse case you can buy a AA in the middle of nowhere.

No, the Teric is not a smart watch.

If you're looking to do SM, I'm going to recommend the Perdix over the Teric. I did SM last year for a time with my Perdix and two transmitters. Pretty easy to see both transmitters on the Perdix screen. I was shown a Teric screen with both transmitters. Dinky!

I’ve had one or more of each of shearwaters computers. I currently have petrels and teric. The teric are my wife and my backups. They’re great and we have used them as a primary computer. But for me the screen is too small and the buttons aren’t as easy as other shearwaters. I’m also used to the menus on the other shearwaters and ui on the teric is different.
I’m sure many people would be happy to have a teric as a primary computer. If it was between it and a perdix or petrel, the teric will always lose when it comes to being a primary.

Recreational diver that floats between 3mm, 8mm semi-dry, and DUI drysuit and chose the Teric.

Perdix for me, endless battery, big screen, easy to rip on or off with surgical tubing loops rather than the strap(s).

Yes the teric has a better screen, but the Perdix is so clear underwater, no need for anything else. I keep it on full brightness instead of auto and never had an issue.

Plus I am never in a situation where I need to keep the comp on the wrist outside of a diving situation, where I quite happily walk around with the Perdix on the wrist before suiting up etc.

Hello my fellow Saskatchewan diver. When my computer died my LDS lent me a perdix. I used for a trip to Cozumel. It was very easy to get used to & have zero complaints about its performance. Next trip I stopped at LDS to purchase a perdix ai. They were out of stock so I purchased the Teric. I have no complaints with it but am still thinking I would of preferred the perdix. My opinion is if you are considering going tech go with the perdix. I have no experience with ai to date so have no comment in this regard. But in my limited use of both they are both fine products.

If you plan on going Sidemount I would recommend the Perdix. With two transmitters it a dream. Also, I believe the Perdix is better suited for diving dry than a watch sized computer such as the Teric. I do love the look of the Teric but the Perdix does all I want with an easy to use two button navigation.

If you're looking to do SM, I'm going to recommend the Perdix over the Teric.

In my opinion, there are three computer brands competing in the champion league - Shearwater, Ratio and Divesoft Freedom. I got a Perdix AI as a gift, and it is really, really good. However, for those considering sidemount, I would recommend to have a closer look at Ratio. In a situation of buying a computer myself, as a sidemount diver I would choose Ratio. It has a sidemount mode and is capable of doing calculations like GTR and SAC avg for the independent SM twins. It switches automatically to the cylinder you are breathing from. It connects to more transmitters (10?). Shearwater handles only two, which is somewhat limiting. Besides, it has audible and vibrating alerts which some despise but I consider a boon. It also can be equiped with a gas analyser just like Divesoft.

I have used petrels and Teric when OC rec/tec and lately CC. Also had my buddy use same computers. Teric screen is much better than petrels (which is actually bigger than pedix). You can customize what is shown more in teric than in petrel/perdix. Items might me smaller in size but easier to see. But if you are older 50+ y diver then teric icons/number are harder to see because size.
I would teric over perdix because bight customizable screen. Beware though teric will catch scratches when diving, so it´s up to you if it looks good or not. Both are usable with drysuits. My wish would be that they made teric like computer (round) with 1,5x size. Buttons are easier to use on teric than on petrel (even on thick dry gloves).

Also battery lasts on teric about 6-9 dives before recharge and it´s quick. On petrel/perdix I change once or just before trip batteries. Both can be connected with bluetooth to phone/ipad/computer to download updates and dive logs. Teric cant do anything else with phone (no calls, texts).
So my recommendation teric if you are younger than 50 and perdix if older than 50.

Back
Top Bottom