Drysuit diving and considering weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What about trim pouches on your upper cam band? That helped me adjust my trim (very buoyant chest).
I already use those (5# per pouch) and they do indeed help with my trim. The problem is my BC integrated pouches just aren't big enough for all the weight I use in a drysuit vs. a wetsuit.

It is not uncommon to see weight split this way (between a weight integrated BCD and a weight belt).
I have been using such a system since I first started diving dry.
I tend to be closer to 2/3 on my waist and 1/3 in my BCD, but that was just what worked for me with the weights that I have. I have 16lb (2x8lb) on the weight belt, and anything else (varies according to undergarments, hood, tanks, etc.) gets distributed to the WI pouches on my BCD.

It is not uncommon to see weight split this way (between a weight integrated BCD and a weight belt).
I have been using such a system since I first started diving dry.
I tend to be closer to 2/3 on my waist and 1/3 in my BCD, but that was just what worked for me with the weights that I have. I have 16lb (2x8lb) on the weight belt, and anything else (varies according to undergarments, hood, tanks, etc.) gets distributed to the WI pouches on my BCD.

This is what I had in mind, I'm glad it seems to work for you! Is there a particular sort weight belt you use? I've read about rubber belts working well with drysuits and the DUI soft weight belt looks both very visible underwater and comfortable.

I have always preferred weight belts after losing weight pouches and seeing others have the same issues. I wear a five pound backplate and the rest of the weight is in my weightbelt.

On a recent outing for my daughter’s AOW class, I guy came up to our group and asked if anyone had lost a weight pouch. We, in fact, had a guy that lost a weight pouch but was back in the water. This guy’s group had also lost a pouch so he asked us to return it to them if we found it. We did find a pouch but it wasn’t theirs and the one they found wasn’t ours. So in the period of one morning and maybe 50-60 total divers, at least 4 had dropped their weight pouches.

In my own experience, I have found a dozen or so weight pouches over the years. I have never found a dropped weight belt. My family and I use weight belts. YMMV.

Is there a particular sort weight belt you use?.

I just use the basic webbed belt with hard weights. Nothing special (cheap works for me). Been using that belt for almost 20 years now, since my O/W certification.

My daughter, also uses the same setup of a belt/integrated weight combo. She uses soft weights though, since she finds her hips got bruised by my hard weights (she has far less "padding" on her hip bones than I do!:D) and the amount of weight she needed for cold water local diving in Ohio quarries and the Great Lakes. Cant remember the exact make or model of her belt though. It is definitely not a harness system, but that would have been our next step if her current setup had not given her sufficient relief from the bruising.

I just use the basic webbed belt with hard weights. Nothing special (cheap works for me). Been using that belt for almost 20 years now, since my O/W certification.

My daughter, also uses the same setup of a belt/integrated weight combo. She uses soft weights though, since she finds her hips got bruised by my hard weights (she has far less "padding" on her hip bones than I do!:D) and the amount of weight she needed for cold water local diving in Ohio quarries and the Great Lakes. Cant remember the exact make or model of her belt though. It is definitely not a harness system, but that would have been our next step if her current setup had not given her sufficient relief from the bruising.

Thank you. I've had hard weights jab me before so I know how she feels! I am strongly considering the DUI soft weight belt, I just have to check and see how much weight each pocket holds...

Thank you. I've had hard weights jab me before so I know how she feels! I am strongly considering the DUI soft weight belt, I just have to check and see how much weight each pocket holds...
It's actually made by OMS. 5 lbs each pocket, 5 pockets. 25lbs total. I borrowed one from a friend once, it was pretty comfortable (of course anything will be compared to a regular weight belt).

Diverite has these: 16 lb QB Weight Pocket | Dive Rite which I normally use on my bp/w. They're rated for 8 lbs each (16 total) but I've had 13 (hard 5 + hard 8) in each pouch for 26lbs total on numerous occasions when working at my local aquarium. I could probably have got more in there if they'd allowed soft weights. Alas, that was not meant to be. They're slightly more difficult to insert with 13 on each side but it's still doable with only minor effort. They aren't any less comfortable when overloaded. I just replaced them last year because they were getting worn and I didn't want to risk dropping a pouch.

There's also these that are rated for 16lbs each/32lbs total: 32 lb QB Weight Pockets | Dive Rite I've never used them but I bet you could get 64lbs in there if you needed to.

You can add those pockets onto pretty much any bcd if it has webbing around the waist area. If not, you'll need a belt of some kind.

Depending on your bcd, you might be able to add a "weight plate" to your bcd (various brands), or an xs-scuba v weight pouch.

With my undersuit, the amount of weight I have to carry is just too much to have on my rig. Besides, it becomes awkward to be very positively buoyant with a very negative rig weighing me down, and since I want to be sure that my rig can float by itself there's a limit to the amount of weight I can have on it. OTOH, there's also a limit to how heavy a belt I can comfortably wear, and I also want to be sure that I don't need my wing to stay buoyant without ditching the belt.

The only sensible solution is to split my weight between the belt and the rig. Works like a charm.

I am a big guy and when I first went dry, I used a belt to supplement my BCD pouches. I soon invested in the DUI harness. The weight is no longer on your hips and you can adjust how far down they sit on your torso. Infinitely more comfortable than a belt and will make suiting up easier.

Lost pouches is a new diver thing. Most pouches when properly secured will stay on your rig. Newbs aren’t used to listen for the click.

It's actually made by OMS. 5 lbs each pocket, 5 pockets. 25lbs total. I borrowed one from a friend once, it was pretty comfortable (of course anything will be compared to a regular weight belt).

Diverite has these: 16 lb QB Weight Pocket | Dive Rite which I normally use on my bp/w. They're rated for 8 lbs each (16 total) but I've had 13 (hard 5 + hard 8) in each pouch for 26lbs total on numerous occasions when working at my local aquarium. I could probably have got more in there if they'd allowed soft weights. Alas, that was not meant to be. They're slightly more difficult to insert with 13 on each side but it's still doable with only minor effort. They aren't any less comfortable when overloaded. I just replaced them last year because they were getting worn and I didn't want to risk dropping a pouch.

There's also these that are rated for 16lbs each/32lbs total: 32 lb QB Weight Pockets | Dive Rite I've never used them but I bet you could get 64lbs in there if you needed to.

You can add those pockets onto pretty much any bcd if it has webbing around the waist area. If not, you'll need a belt of some kind.

Depending on your bcd, you might be able to add a "weight plate" to your bcd (various brands), or an xs-scuba v weight pouch.

You primarily dive in FL, yes? The amount of weight some of us need to dive dry in cold water, even with steel tanks and a steel BP, is too much to put on your rig or is just uncomfortable to deal with on the rig. Not having overstuffed, heavy weight pockets to deal with on my harness waist belt makes getting geared up so much easier. My harness belt isn’t flopping around like it did with the loaded weight pockets on it.

Back
Top Bottom