What’s the future for California dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is 6 packs that are exempt. They’re mostly all we have on the Great Lakes.
It's also boats over 100 tons carrying 12 passengers.

The future of California Dive Boats? They will be back operating within a month. You may or may not see some regulation changes, or advisory circulars. Most of the existing boats would probably be "grandfathered" in any new regulations. The boats will be just as safe as they have been for the last 40 years, be that good or bad.

It is 6 packs that are exempt. They’re mostly all we have on the Great Lakes.
Both Michigan and Indiana have state inspection programs for all charter vessels regardless of number of passengers.
Michigan law:
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-451-1994-III-2-3-CHARTER-AND-LIVERY-BOATS-445
Since many US scuba charters operate in and out of Michigan waters depending on the dive site I think most end up getting inspected.

If you look at this map, most of the US side of Lake Superior, half of lake Michigan and all of the US side of Lake Huron are within Michigan. This makes a Michigan DNR inspection pretty much a requirement for any viable scuba charter regardless of the number of paying passenger.
Google Maps

I don't recall if Canadian rules in the Great Lakes require any kind of inspections.

The future of California Dive Boats? They will be back operating within a month. You may or may not see some regulation changes, or advisory circulars. Most of the existing boats would probably be "grandfathered" in any new regulations. The boats will be just as safe as they have been for the last 40 years, be that good or bad.
I pretty much agree with that.
There will be a few self imposed new rules.
Come next round of coastguard inspections there will likely be a few mandatory upgrades. Boats are not required to have EPIRBs when built but they do now type of things. But you are not going to see the fleet scrapped and replaced by new boats.

I'm heading to California next weekend for some boat diving. Hasn't changed my plans one bit. But it is just a day boat.

A few boats will probably go out of business, or change hands. While this does happen on a normal basis the events will probably be listed as the tipping point.

If there was plans to go on an overnighter this weekend I wouldn't change them. If anything everyone will be so careful it will probably be the safest time possible to go. In general the 50 years of history show a remarkably good record for all the California boats. I know of hotels where hundreds of people have died in accidents and they are still in business.

I was once on a liveaboard where the nightstand drawer acted as a fire-proof box , they asked anyone charging any electric device to place it inside the drawer should it catch fire / explode.

The drawer was modified with metal and insulation , we also had a fire extinguisher in every single room.

I haven't seen this anywhere else but it sure did give me peace of mind especially considering i was sleeping in the front of the bow , far away from the escape hatch.
Hi @JackOfDiamonds

Out of interest, where was this?

.. My guess is over 100 boats will be effected....
And to expand that further.....think of all the USA ferry boats like Manhattan/NY/SanFran/Great Lakes/etc that transport downtown workers every day. Most have outlets to keep passenger's phones/laptop/etc charging for the ride. Those guys are on razor thin margins if the insurance companies or USCG takes a broad swipe at regulations. Since the USCG takes years to change regs, those insurance companies will step right in quick with "remove ALL outlets"

And to expand that further.....think of all the USA ferry boats like Manhattan/NY/SanFran/Great Lakes/etc that transport downtown workers every day. Most have outlets to keep passenger's phones/laptop/etc charging for the ride. Those guys are on razor thin margins if the insurance companies or USCG takes a broad swipe at regulations. Since the USCG takes years to change regs, those insurance companies will step right in quick with "remove ALL outlets"
It’s the overnight that is the problem, not the plugging in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom