Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone sent me a link where a coastguard spokeswoman said that all 5 crew members were awake and on deck when the fire broke out. I read the link. That didn’t add up to me. Why would the 5 crew members all be awake at 3:00am?

Does anyone know if the 5 crew members that survived were, in fact, all awake at 3:00am?

I recall reading that this was the last night of the trip. Does anyone know if normally there would be diving the next day or just a dock and depart?
There would have been diving in the morning, and motoring back to Santa Barbara to arrive early evening, at least that is how the 2 day weekend trips went. This was a 3 day trip because of Labor Day.

Under perfect conditions, starting in their bunks, I don't think that all ~33 people could get out through this escape hatch in under 3-4 minutes, . Add to the situation, some might have been overweight and out of shape and others might not have the strength to pull themselves out by themselves and you get some would not get out period, without assistance.
I'm in pretty decent shape. I ride my bike at least twenty miles each morning. I have been on the Truth Aquatics boats a few times and always have difficulty climbing up to the top bunk even when the lights are on and nobody is in my way. If the fire did start in the bunkroom and blocked the stairs I can understand how they didn't get out, even if they were awakened by smoke detectors. If the fire started in the salon, the vents in the bunks may have already spread the fumes below.

Someone sent me a link where a coastguard spokeswoman said that all 5 crew members were awake and on deck when the fire broke out. I read the link. That didn’t add up to me. Why would the 5 crew members all be awake at 3:00am?

Does anyone know if the 5 crew members that survived were, in fact, all awake at 3:00am?
Considering that at least one of the crew was wearing nothing but underware, I would say that was false. Awakened at 3AM, yes. But awake at 3AM, no. Minor grammar error that changes how things are interrupted.

I've read a lot of this thread, but admittedly jumped to the end at about page 50 as there was much repetition and speculation based on early and inaccurate reports. My thoughts and observations:
[clip]
After writing this I found this article with the same theory by the boat's designer:

Theory on Conception dive boat fire points to phone-charging station

Newser’s not the most reliable source, however the info in this is drawn from an LA Times article that I posted the link to on page 91. Theres a good bit more in the full article if folks who’ve skipped posts are interested.

I think this report has a bit of "new" information.

Investigators share crew's 'harrowing story' of boat fire, rescue efforts

"[NTSB Investigator Jennifer Homendy] said one crew member reported waking up to a noise and leaving his bunk and seeing flames from the galley. Homendy noted that he said he did not hear a smoke alarm.

He tried to get down the ladder but flames had engulfed it, Homendy said. The crew members from the bridge jumped down to the main deck and one broke a leg, Homendy said

Crew members from the bridge went to the double doors of the galley to get to the stairs and escape hatch that led to the passengers in the bunk room below deck, but that area was engulfed in flames, Homendy said. The crew members tried to get to the windows in the front, but flames kept them out, Homendy said.

Due to the heat, flames and smoke, the crew had to jump from the boat, Homendy said."
more at the link .

People often assume the bus driver was drunk.
And sometimes there were criminal acts even when they weren't initially obvious. At least a half dozen aircraft have crashed via "suicide by pilot" for instance

Its important to keep an open mind, especially very very early in an investigation. I am assuming good faith on the part of the crew, owners, and passengers here because I don't know anything otherwise. And honestly "that someone" who's that much of a cynic to think this was a criminal act or conspiracy already without evidence is also not going to be swayed by evidence anyway.

I would hope the FBI divers recovering the pieces they can - along with the NTSB would be more critical - and less emotional.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for it from the investigative side. It just seems to be that since the moment this broke, there were many people who immediately went to the default position that there must have been gross negligence on someone's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom