Regulators for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a LOB I need no additional clothing, just shorts to protect others from seeing my skinny white ass, I wash them when I shower (shrug)

Well you just had to go and mention a liveaboard so that was a natural segue into my liveaboard underwear math..... :rofl3: here goes.

Eat, sleep, dive, repeat, right? Well, if you are technically diving all day and just sleeping at night you really are just wearing your underwear for 8 hours because you're wearing a swimsuit for the other 16 hours. That's 8 hours out of 24 hours in a day. Focus, because I can tell you're already starting to get grossed out and distracted. Theoretically, that should allow you to wear it for 3 days. If you're a total savage, you can flip it and reverse it like Missy Elliott and make that 6 days. :rofl3: Don't worry, I don't follow my own underwear math.

Well you just had to go and mention a liveaboard so that was a natural segue into my liveaboard underwear math..... :rofl3: here goes.

Eat, sleep, dive, repeat, right? Well, if you are technically diving all day and just sleeping at night you really are just wearing your underwear for 8 hours because you're wearing a swimsuit for the other 16 hours. That's 8 hours out of 24 hours in a day. Focus, because I can tell you're already starting to get grossed out and distracted. Theoretically, that should allow you to wear it for 3 days. If you're a total savage, you can flip it and reverse it like Missy Elliott and make that 6 days. :rofl3: Don't worry, I don't follow my own underwear math.

I don't like math as a rule, but I like yours.

I use shorts with mesh lining so no need to pack underpants! And those shorts weight less than 150g each and quick dry as well.
The weight saving on "travel regs" is insignificant.

I just sneak around the boat and steal one pair from each cabin on the first day...

(Don't worry - I give them back at the end...)

I bought my first complete set of SCUBA gear beginning of last year and at the time weight was a major concern as I was also planning a lot of travelling. Due to work that hasn't quite worked out.

So I got the Cressi MC9 first stage coupled with Cressi XS second stages and a Cressi Travelight BCD. Over 100 dives on this kit since then and zero issues. Overall a few kg lighter than my friends' kit, allowing taking along more knickknacks (camera etc).

You can also buy the service kits for the regulators freely online (no jumping through hoops) and Cressi makes the instructions available on their website. Of course, you should do a regulator service Course first! But servicing them is a doddle.

Best regulator on the market? I doubt it. Good enough for me? So far, yes, I'm a happy customer. Will see how it goes sidemount (no turret) when I do my course in a couple of weeks.

I just sneak around the boat and steal one pair from each cabin on the first day...

(Don't worry - I give them back at the end...)

If we ever end up on a liveaboard together, I will ensure I bring the least practical, frilliest, flossiest, hot pink pair just for you lolololol

I have a dedicated travel set - aqualung micron and miflex hoses and an at home set - aqualung legend LXs.

More than happy with both though I will say the mikron is a tiny bit prone to the odd free flow on the surface and at depth. I've not found this to be a problem, on the surface I just cup my hand over and get it out of the breeze, at depth, I just tuck my chin in and it stops.

Mikron is a great reg for smaller female faces and teenagers and no hassles service wise. Anywhere in the world.

Just because I like talking about dive gear;

My "travel" set is an Apeks FSR I unsealed, which makes it even easier to service, and 2 metal conshelf 14s. None require any specialized tools beyond a C spanner and ip gauge. Can be serviced in minutes, super reliable and almost indestructible. Heavy, not the best breathers but if I've paid $$$ to do a LOB I don't want to miss a dive due to equipment failure or someone dropping a tank on my reg. I could easily service either during a SI if needed.

Back
Top Bottom