Steel tank life and value?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people want a 100 cubic feet of air. They don't care about the exact size and weight of the cylinders. They don't care about the buoyancy weight or how they trim out. In those cases a Faber is just as good as a Worthington. Since you can get plenty of HP100 tanks in your area, people aren't going to pay you top dollar for your Worthington HP100s. They'll just go out and buy new Fabers or something.

There are people who like the way the Worthington tanks trim out. They prefer a Worthington tank over other brands. Now the factory in Canada stopped making the HP100. They still make cylinders just not the hot dipped galvanized cylinders for scuba.

Which means there is a limited supply of Worthington cylinders out there. And for that reason, some people are willing to pay more for a Worthington HP100. In Canada, the going rate for a Worthington HP100, when they were available new, was around $400 + tax or $452 Canadian. With the current exchange rate you are looking at $340 USD. Some people will pay $340 for one used. Like pointed out, these things could last decades. So being 10 years old is nothing. They are practically new.

If you want a quick sale, price them at $200 USD.

Just yesterday someone here posted a Worthington HP100 for $275 CAD. I happened to see it 3 minutes after he posted it. I was 15 minutes from his house. I asked for the address and drove to his house. By the time I got to his house 7 other people were inquiring about them. One guy said, "I'll take it" but I was already there.

Now this is in southern Ontario, where the Worthington factory is located. Around 10 to 20 years ago, these had a cult following. I would never pay $400 CAD for a used Worthington HP100 but some people would. Most people will pay around $250 CAD for one. The convertible valve is pretty much a must for these tanks for me. I use DIN but I like to be able to convert to Yoke if I sell them to someone who uses Yoke.

Originally, all the hot dipped galvanized HP100 cylinders were Worthington and rebranded. If I was Genesis, I'd take a Worthington cylinder, put a Genesis valve in it and all it a Genesis tank. The most popular one was XSScuba valve in a Worthington cylinder. However, Worthington closed the plant in Ontario on November 13, 2013. So, if you have a tank with original hydro date of 2013, it may or may not be a Worthington.

The Worthington cylinder was around 24" high. XSScuba now sells the Faber hot dipped galvanized steel cylinders. These cylinders are just over 25". They hold a touch more gas (just over 101 cu.ft.) than the Worthington cylinder (99.5 cu.ft.) but the Worthington cylinder trim out differently than the Faber.

You can get the Faber in your area for probably $350. A quick sale is going to be $175. You might be able to get $200 for them.

I'm in the Midwest. HP100 are often used on the Great Lakes. Used ones here are rare. When they pop up, they go very quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom