Cayman Islands Hyperbaric Chambers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joneill

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m finishing up my rescue certification before some fall dive trips to French Pokynesia and Cayman Brac and need to put together an emergency action plan as part of the training. I’m doing it for the Brac trip but having an issue confirming chambers in the Cayman Islands.

It seems there is a chamber on Grand Cayman, but Is there also a recompression chamber on Cayman Brac? Some internet searches suggest there is:

Hyperbaric chamber tackles more than just the bends | Cayman Compass

However, even the info on the Cayman Health Services site is unclear and doesn’t seem to mention it?

Outpatient - Health Services Authority

I did find these that suggest there is only a unit on Grand Cayman:

Dive Medicine in the Cayman Islands | Explore Cayman

Hyperbaric Chamber

Can someone with more local knowledge here clear it up for me? Thanks in advance!

I'm a chamber technical here in Grand Cayman. There was a chamber in Cayman Brac, but it closed down last year. I'm not sure what became of the chamber itself, but I know we ended up with some of their linens.

I'm a chamber technical here in Grand Cayman. There was a chamber in Cayman Brac, but it closed down last year. I'm not sure what became of the chamber itself, but I know we ended up with some of their linens.
Thanks - I appreciate the quick response. The GC Chamber is located at George Town Hospital, correct?

I previously had asked the dive staff at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort if it was true that the Brac chamber was no longer in operation and received this response:

"Unfortunately this is true. The hospital has a very small staff with no one trained to operate it at present. So anyone needing treatment will be transported by air at low altitude by emergency personnel for treatment in the Chamber on Grand Cayman."

I previously had asked the dive staff at the Cayman Brac Beach Resort if it was true that the Brac chamber was no longer in operation and received this response:

"Unfortunately this is true. The hospital has a very small staff with no one trained to operate it at present. So anyone needing treatment will be transported by air at low altitude by emergency personnel for treatment in the Chamber on Grand Cayman."
Thanks!

I’m finishing up my rescue certification before some fall dive trips to French Pokynesia and Cayman Brac and need to put together an emergency action plan as part of the training. I’m doing it for the Brac trip but having an issue confirming chambers in the Cayman Islands.

It seems there is a chamber on Grand Cayman, but Is there also a recompression chamber on Cayman Brac? Some internet searches suggest there is:

Hyperbaric chamber tackles more than just the bends | Cayman Compass

However, even the info on the Cayman Health Services site is unclear and doesn’t seem to mention it?

Outpatient - Health Services Authority

I did find these that suggest there is only a unit on Grand Cayman:

Dive Medicine in the Cayman Islands | Explore Cayman

Hyperbaric Chamber

Can someone with more local knowledge here clear it up for me? Thanks in advance!

FYI, this excellent report about a Cayman chamber experience was written by @Divetech Cayman

Dive safe! A short story from a chamber operator

Back
Top Bottom