Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I'm no customs broker, of course. Just looking through the codes. I guess I just got lucky and saved few bucks. I'll take it I'm no clear, though, how dry suit itself could be taxed as clothing. It cannot be worn as price of clothing (Unlike undergarment)?

Well, I'm no customs broker, of course. Just looking through the codes. I guess I just got lucky and saved few bucks. I'll take it I'm no clear, though, how dry suit itself could be taxed as clothing. It cannot be worn as price of clothing (Unlike undergarment)?

Don’t ask. Customs rules and guidelines for classification of goods are wonky and obscure. It’s gov’t BS. Duties are the second highest source of income for the US gov’t after income taxes.

It’s a hazard of ordering something from outside your country of residence. I won’t even mess with it for personal stuff since I see enough of it on the job.

And the USHTS is not as easy to read as it seems. The indents can lead you down the merry path to destruction as I learned during my licensing exam. :D

From what I learned, even though it is almost identical to the undersuit, because the drysuit has specific modifications (valves and seals) for scuba diving it counts as sporting equipment.

I received my heavily optioned Nova and whilst I will have to wait a bit before I am back home to take it for a test dive, I can report the following after trying it on briefly when I received it:

- All options are present
- Fits well in the lengths with no movement impairment and reasonable to don and doff (I tried before talcing up the inside, probably easier after but I ran out of time), I'll need to find a way to open the front zip all the way up on the left shoulder but I am sure it can be managed
- The material is quite thick fabric, and I have all the bp/w area PU reinforcements and kevlar knee pads, so it should hold up well and is certainly a suit to fix rather than throw away. Tech and wreck should not be an issue.
- The compressed neo socks are a decent fit and a good option because you can turn the legs inside out properly. Did not have my gear nearby to check whether my boots fit over them, I may need new boots for it.
- Still quite a bit of space circumference wise despite my note that fitting thick undergarments is not a priority. So I guess if you tick the 'allow for thick undergarments' option, you'll get a very spacious suit.
- Silicone seals are the one and only seal to buy, don't even need to trim them.
- With the Siflex quick neck fitted, make sure you inspect the seal ring after taking off the suit as it seems prone to pull out in places
- If you don't need dry gloves and use silicone seals, get the SLAGGO cuffs
- I upgraded to the SiTech valves, which feel like cheap plastic (I was hoping more for the feel of a good reg), but I expect them to be reliable
- The convenience zipper with zipper cover does not leave a lot of space, but I have to 'field test' it :wink:

I think it also looks quite nice (all black with blue seals, no reflective tape, no logos, name badge only).

Can't wait to get it wet (on the outside only).

Anyone else found arm cut a bit on the shorter side? My sleeves are definitely short, like an inch if not two. Otherwise, I love the suit. I got boots and they appear bulletproof, comfortable and very easy to get into and take off. I got DIR placement of Apex high profile dump valve and it is so easy to use, jist perfectly positioned for using in horizontal trim. I had no issue with zipping-unzipping all the way, maybe I'm just more flexible. Other than arms, suit is cut perfectly. Heads-up: when you order name tag, they fit the font to the tag. More letters mean smaller font. My 4 letter name tag is WAY bolder than I imagined, they made letters huge. Also, if ordering flag and no Sea Skin branding, flag comes out LARGE (otherwise it shares the same real estate with "Seaskin" lettering ).

Anyone else found arm cut a bit on the shorter side? My sleeves are definitely short, like an inch if not two.

Do you have latex seals or wrist rings?

For me, the seals come out when I stretch my arms out, and the SLAGGO rings come forward over the seals with the arms closer to the body. Do your seals protrude a lot even when the arm is not stretched out?
More than I'd like. Rings almost don't cover seals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom