What’s the future for California dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Specific to OP title?

It’s California, there will be laws passed that will fix everything.

Specific to OP title?

It’s California, there will be laws passed that will fix everything.
Lol, yes California has a way of fixing problems that haven’t even become problems yet.
But in all seriousness, this will be looked at on the federal level.

In regards to the horrific tragedy involving the Conception, what effect do you think this may have on the rest of the California dive boats, especially the multi day LOB’s?

Will there possibly be some major retrofits happening with similarly constructed vessels?

Will there be new protocols involving electrical devices being charged or even allowed on board regardless of whether or not this is the determined cause of the fire on the Conception.

FIRE WATCH. First thing that came to my mind. Made sense for centuries ? and still does. Obviously early raising of the alarm and nipping a possible fire in the bud is critical. There’s other things that can go wrong on a boat at zero dark thirty too.

Lol, yes California has a way of fixing problems that haven’t even become problems yet.
But in all seriousness, this will be looked at on the federal level.
Don't worry, the state will get involved as well. They are well known for mandating laws that don't match the federal level and get away with it.

Big difference between an attended battery and an unattended battery while people are sleeping.
I would totally agree... Doubt this incident would have been deadly if that fire had started during daylight. Also airlines would have been the first to ban battery charging if it was that easy to start a fire from a battery...

I would totally agree... Doubt this incident would have been deadly if that fire had started during daylight. Also airlines would have been the first to ban battery charging if it was that easy to start a fire from a battery...

Still have not heard if there was a nightwatch and whether it required rounds rather than dozing off at the helm...

I work in the commercial building industry. In most cases the International Building Code requires commercial structures intending to be sleeping quarters to have automatic fire sprinklers. I could see the US adapting something similar in commercial boats. Fire sprinklers saves lives and many states, including CA have tried for many years to make them required in single family homes but have failed many times mostly due to significant costs to the end user. The "selling point" of automatic sprinklers is they reduce most of the human factors, if there's a fire the sprinklers will activate and extinguish or at a minimum; slop down the spread of fire.

You can have a law that says no chargers at night on boats but someone will forget or think "what's the harm" or think they are above "rules"

I think the insurance industry is going to have a quicker say than the USCG. Charter boats live or die by the liability. You might see the insurance companies dictating things like escape routes, fire suppression systems charging boxes. On the upside, they may provide financial incentives that will make adoption by the industry happen a lot faster than the slow wheels of government.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom