Fourth Element Proteus II Wetsuit Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say thank you for the great tip Laval of stretching the neck seal. Mine was choking me (just bought the 3mm Proteus II from Divestock) but otherwise fit great (getting my feet through the leg openings was a nightmare though). I let it stretch for 2 days and it's now much more comfortable to wear.
Thank you, FirasR.
I am glad that my tip was useful. I lost some weight (about 5-6 kg) and now have no problem with seals. I also bought a 5-mm Proteus II and did not have to stretch seals at all. Regarding 'leg openings', some people are spraying soapy (shampoo) liquid to seals for ease this process a bit.

I tried the version 1 and found it an exhausting nightmare to get it on. Plenty of suits just as warm and that are much easier to don.

Thanks for that guide, I hadn't come across it before. I actually ended up doing the same thing in the guide (rolling the seal at the feet up) and was still struggling to get it on. The problem seems to be a pair of stiff liners on the inside of the ankle seal that don't expand like the rest of the seal does and they get stuck on the wide part of my foot. I have quite narrow and small feet (size 40 EU/7.5 US with a size Small Short suit) so I can't imagine how much of a pain people with bigger feet have with getting this suit on.

My son and I both have Proteus II suits. He has 70 dives in the suit and the suit thickness is down to 4 mm (measured with calipers. I have 135 dives and the thickness is at 2.75 mm, so a loss of almost 50%. After about 40 dives, some of the stitching on the seams started to unravel. I know a dive master that used one of these suits and the same issues occurred. The bottom line is that these suits are NOT that durable, especially for the relatively high price. Regarding the neck seal, I found that it does not feel as tight underwater, and that seal is what helps keep the water out and make this suit relatively warmer - at least until the neoprene compresses. As far as getting the wetsuit on, I use neoprene socks, and that makes pulling the legs over my feet relatively easy.

Okay. I actually ended up buying a 3-mm wetsuit Proteus II. I like a simplistic look of it. I did not feel that I am a billboard advertising a manufacturer with huge letters. It feels quality, and it is definitely much warmer than my regular 3-mm wet suit. For me (a cold-blooded guy), it was good for most days (at bottom temperature of 79-80F), and only during a night dive (75F) I wished I had something warmer.

The only problem I had is with the he hydrolock inner neck seal, which was extremely tight around my neck. I think, it was even restricting blood supply to my head, so I started to stretch that neck seal using an ice bucket overnight. Please see attached photo how I did it.

View attachment 395353

Hi there,

I wondered does it help to expand the neck by doing that?

Thanks

I am looking to buy a 5mm wetsuit, and came across a new wetsuit Proteus II from Fourth Element.
From what I read, it appears that Fourth Element's wetsuits are higher end wetsuits, and their new Proteus II is supposed to be a very good and durable wetsuit (at least based on the manufacturer's description).

However, I could not find any independent reviews of this new wetsuit, and it is almost impossible to find it in a scuba shop. I've contacted probably twenty shops in Canada (Ontario) and in the USA and no one had them in stock.

If anyone could share their experience with this wetsuit or a link to their reviews, I would greatly appreciate it.
I am looking to buy a 5mm wetsuit, and came across a new wetsuit Proteus II from Fourth Element.
From what I read, it appears that Fourth Element's wetsuits are higher end wetsuits, and their new Proteus II is supposed to be a very good and durable wetsuit (at least based on the manufacturer's description).

However, I could not find any independent reviews of this new wetsuit, and it is almost impossible to find it in a scuba shop. I've contacted probably twenty shops in Canada (Ontario) and in the USA and no one had them in stock.

If anyone could share their experience with this wetsuit or a link to their reviews, I would greatly appreciate it.
Hi,
I, too, am looking to buy a new wetsuit. I love my old Pinnacle, merino lined 3mm. It is falling apart and all stretched out. I was considering having a custom suit made by Connie’s Wetwear, in FL, until I went to Statia, in November, 202. I met two dive guides, a male and female both raved about the proteus II, 5 mm. They are available online, maybe Amazon too. I am wondering how would I like the 5 mm vs 3 mm, considering the extra warmth, thickness, bulk and additional weights. Both dive pros loved the 5mm, stating they like being warm. Anyone out there using the 5 mm in warm water? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Hi there,

I wondered does it help to expand the neck by doing that?

Thanks
Loved your solution. Well done. I own an ace bucket; just hope I won’t need it. I prefer wine in my ice bucket. 😉 Cheers 🥂.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom