Should I store a drysuit with the completely closed zipper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ask Steve Gamble in Newberry, FL. Do whatever he says.

Fyi, I'd never own another plastic zipper after the short lived I had on the four I received via warranty on my Bare. Also, I'd never again own a Bare, lol

I have had several people advise me to switch to a plastic zipper because they did so years ago and have had much better results than with metal.
I guess it just goes to show that not all metal or plastic zippers are created equal. Chances are, better and worse products exist in both categories.

As for the original question, I think you should trust the manufacturer to know what is best for their product. The manufacturer is the one who did the research, development and testing. I don't believe the advice would be purposely bad (reducing product service life) because that would damage reputation & sales. As long as competitors exist with reasonably similar products, that would not be profitable.

I have had several people advise me to switch to a plastic zipper because they did so years ago and have had much better results than with metal.
I guess it just goes to show that not all metal or plastic zippers are created equal. Chances are, better and worse products exist in both categories.

If that's the case, they're in a tiny minority. I have never met anyone (and "everybody" here dives dry) that has had better luck with a plastic zipper than a brass one. I've been diving drysuits for 43 years. In that time, I suppose I went through 5 or 6 drysuits, and I have NEVER replaced a brass zipper or even had one leak. The suit died of some other ailment, but the zipper was fine. The last few suits I owned each had around 5-700 dives on them when I replaced them. I have yet to get more than 100 dives on a plastic zipper (although I currently working on it) but the others all failed after about 30 - 40 dives. Since I switched to suits with plastic zippers, I have replaced them 4 times in 3 years... well, more accurately, I replaced three within two years. The current one (a YKK) has been "OK" for two years, but it's a fussy bloody thing that needs to be lubed every day that I'm diving.

I'm convinced that the ONLY reason the manufacturers adopted them is because they're cheap, and easier to install. Even though they have huge numbers of warranty claims, the things likely cost a few dollars so they're still way ahead. To back this up, I know of several manufacturers that allow an "upgrade" to a brass zipper at a significant upcharge. I didn't notice the price of suits dropping when plastic became the standard, so I assume the manufacturer just pocketed the savings. I have no problem with that as long as the replacement product is at least as good as the original, or better, but that clearly isn't the case.

If that's the case, they're in a tiny minority. I have never met anyone (and "everybody" here dives dry) that has had better luck with a plastic zipper than a brass one. I've been diving drysuits for 43 years. In that time, I suppose I went through 5 or 6 drysuits, and I have NEVER replaced a brass zipper or even had one leak. The suit died of some other ailment, but the zipper was fine. The last few suits I owned each had around 5-700 dives on them when I replaced them. I have yet to get more than 100 dives on a plastic zipper (although I currently working on it) but the others all failed after about 30 - 40 dives. Since I switched to suits with plastic zippers, I have replaced them 4 times in 3 years... well, more accurately, I replaced three within two years. The current one (a YKK) has been "OK" for two years, but it's a fussy bloody thing that needs to be lubed every day that I'm diving.

I'm convinced that the ONLY reason the manufacturers adopted them is because they're cheap, and easier to install. Even though they have huge numbers of warranty claims, the things likely cost a few dollars so they're still way ahead. To back this up, I know of several manufacturers that allow an "upgrade" to a brass zipper at a significant upcharge. I didn't notice the price of suits dropping when plastic became the standard, so I assume the manufacturer just pocketed the savings. I have no problem with that as long as the replacement product is at least as good as the original, or better, but that clearly isn't the case.
I’ll take a plastic zipper over brass anytime I have the option.

I’ll take a plastic zipper over brass anytime I have the option.

You're the first I've heard of in that case. I like the plastic zippers in that they're much more flexible and easier to close, especially in a front-zip suit. And to be fair, if you get a good one, and it makes it past 40 dives, it may well last much longer. I suppose the jury is out on that for now.

I roll my drysuit starting by the feet so there is not so much pressure by the time I roll the zip.

Is that bad practice ?

I roll my drysuit starting by the feet so there is not so much pressure by the time I roll the zip.

Is that bad practice ?
Why do you think it could be bad practice? My suit is hung in the shower till nearly dry (or the wife gets really pissed off), then hung normally with the zip open , then rolled feet first and bagged the night before a dive.

Why do you think it could be bad practice? My suit is hung in the shower till nearly dry (or the wife gets really pissed off), then hung normally with the zip open , then rolled feet first and bagged the night before a dive.
I was wondering because most of people seem to be hanging them here for long term storage.

I keep it rolled up when not using it.

Maybe I should be hanging it for long term storage, it’s not like it would stretch

You're the first I've heard of in that case. I like the plastic zippers in that they're much more flexible and easier to close, especially in a front-zip suit. And to be fair, if you get a good one, and it makes it past 40 dives, it may well last much longer. I suppose the jury is out on that for now.

Are you talking about all drysuits with plastic zippers or just some?
Because all the divers I know diving dry with plastic zippers (Santi) have done WAY more than 40 dives on their suits with no trouble...
I'm more than happy with my brass one, except that it's a bit annoying to wax it up as often as is needed for it to close without too much effort as you mentioned.

Are you talking about all drysuits with plastic zippers or just some?
Because all the divers I know diving dry with plastic zippers (Santi) have done WAY more than 40 dives on their suits with no trouble...

Many of my friends dive SANTI and DUI Flex suits. I"m guessing that way more than half of them have replaced the zipper, and in some cases, more than once. In my first SANTI suit, it was replaced twice. My second SANTI has a YKK and so far it's ok. It's just fussy and needs to be lubed every day I use the suit.

My wife has a BARE. Her T-zip only lasted about 30 dives and has been replaced with a YKK. (We asked for brass, but BARE wouldn't do that under warranty The new zipper only has a few dives on it.

In fairness, most of this was more than a year ago so very likely changes have been made. I love the plastic zippers when they work, especially in a front zip suit. Having said that, I doubt I'll get the 600 or 700 dives out of it that I always got with a brass back zip. But then I doubt the suit will last that long either... that's the price of lightweight..

As for the original question, I think you should trust the manufacturer to know what is best for their product. The manufacturer is the one who did the research, development and testing. I don't believe the advice would be purposely bad (reducing product service life) because that would damage reputation & sales. As long as competitors exist with reasonably similar products, that would not be profitable.
I go by this recommendation . It is a reasonable expectation to trust that manufacturers have done their research into the equipment components and the best methods of use and storage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom