Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work on a liveaboard and am actively sifting through all the information I can find. It's all grist for the mill, some better than others, but ultimately anything that helps us reassess our operation is good, whether factual or speculative.

Based on the El Faro, there will be a Coast Guard hearing in a few months that will be interesting and reveal a lot.
Hearings are normally for gathering information but a lot can be learned from the testimony.

There is nothing even remotely resembling "InfoWars" type conspiracies when it comes the discussion of battery failures that lead to ignition points. It's a very real event that occurs.

I'm not sure why you think there is something unreasonable in discussing such a scenario, especially since it doesn't impugn anyone on board - guest or crew. Things fail without warning all the time.

It's a ridiculous conjecture. A sad battery will not instantly engulf a 65 ft vessel. Just stop and think about physics for even a single moment.

Because that's not what happened. Dear God, grow up and get an education. Also, even if it was the cause how on earth is that TA's responsibility?
we don't yet know if that is what happened and that angle has also been speculated by the various authorities.
I am so sorry for the pain you are in.

I understand the pain, but you are too close. Best to just turn off your computer for a while.
Uhm, no. A bad battery does not engulf a 65 ft vessel in seconds. Sorry, but the whole ridiculous battery theory is just that, ridiculous.

How many ships have you actually been on, and how many USB charged batteries have you seen explode to the point of engulfing that much of a structure?

Show me one report about batteries being the cause. Honest reports from investigative agencies and not psychotic conspiracy sites like InfoWars.

Yep, stay off conspiracy sites, for sure. There are no reports about the fire yet as you know, so you are correct about speculation.

The point, which is separate from speculation, is that now I have awareness about charging lithium batteries. That’s it. Invaluable, and all thanks to this thread.

Show me one report about batteries being the cause. Honest reports from investigative agencies and not psychotic conspiracy sites like InfoWars.

I think you miss the value of the battery-related speculation. It is mostly about fire safety in the future, not slandering or affixing blame to Truth Aquatics. There are plenty of electrical failures that can cause a fire, though most require more than a single point of failure.

I encourage you to correct posts that blame Truth Aquatics' crew or management with "facts not in evidence". Please use the Report button for posts that violate the TOS. It's tough for mods to keep up with such a fast moving thread.

With the divers likely dying of smoke inhalation according to the Sheriff/Coroner, arguments about escape hatches are a moot point.

I don’t agree. Just because people died of smoke inhalation doesn’t mean that egress wasn’t a potential concern. We have very limited information at this point, but if they detected carboxyhemoglobin or cyanide (burning plastic) in tissue samples, that suggests that death was from respiratory failure before thermal injury. Presumably that’s what the coroner is considering.

Inability to escape a smoke filled room could certainly cause death from smoke inhalation. And there have been several reasonable criticisms of the emergency egress as implemented, so it’s a good thing to consider going forward, even if this eventually is shown not to be relevant in this case due to further investigations...

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom