Tension in Papua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Consider this:
51.5% of the total population in West Papua are the native Papuan people. They are several tribes in West Papua. The tribes that inhabit West Papua Province are the Arfak, Doreri, Kuri, Simuri, Irarutu, Sebyar, Moscona, Mairasi, Kambouw, Onim, Sekar, Maibrat, Tehit, Imeko, Tehit, Imeko, Moi, Tipin, Maya, Biak, Anggi, Arguni, Asmat, Awiu, Batanta, Biak, Bintuni, Dani, Demta, Genyem, Guai, Hattam, Jakui, Kapauku, Kiman, Mairasi, Manikion, Mapia, Marindeanim, Mimika, Moni, Muyu, Numfor, Salawati, Uhundun, and Waigeo.[29]

When viewed from cultural characteristics, livelihoods and patterns of life, indigenous Papuans can be divided into two major groups, namely mountainous Papua or inland, highlands and lowland and coastal Papua. The belief pattern of traditional Papuan religions unites and absorbs all aspects of life, they have an integral worldview that is closely related to one another between material and spiritual worlds, which are secular and sacred and both function together.

The remaining population are mostly immigrants from other parts of Indonesia, such as the Javanese, Sundanese, Balinese and Chinese.

Indonesia has a terrible human rights record. I don't travel to dive but would not consider spending any time in Indonesia due to their "justice" system, or lack thereof. There are many other countries more deserving of our tourist dollars.

...I don't travel to dive but would not consider spending any time in Indonesia...

So you have no dog in this fight and are just here to troll. Thanks for your contribution.

Indonesia has a terrible human rights record. I don't travel to dive but would not consider spending any time in Indonesia due to their "justice" system, or lack thereof. There are many other countries more deserving of our tourist dollars.

Such as???? Singapore? Philipines ???? Brazil ???? USA ?

I just returned from R4 LOB, I was not able to notice any tension and yes, internet did not work, so I could not use my credit card. If you are traveling these days, remember to get some cash before landing to Sorong.

So you have no dog in this fight and are just here to troll. Thanks for your contribution.
No dog in this fight? No axe to grind, I think you mean. Every thinking, caring person on the face of the earth has a dog in this fight, as people generally do not tolerate genocide or ethnic cleansing, take your pick of terms. Neighboring Pacific island nations have stated in the United Nations general assembly that they have received smuggled reports and video (and they would have to be smuggled as the Indonesian gov't have cut off internet access) that genocide is taking place. The UN places enough credence on these reports that they are planning an inspection tour by the Human Rights commission.
Perhaps you are fine living and working within such an evil, vile regime, but others may not be. Hence the posting of information here. Readers can do their own research and make up there own minds.

internet did not work, so I could not use my credit card. If you are traveling these days, remember to get some cash before landing to Sorong.

OH, a really good point.......I'm not due to be there again until April. Hopefully it will be better by then. The only exception is if the card processing device uses a cell phone data signal - as that is still working, right? Which really means have cash because I have only run into these running off cell data on a liveaboard.

Such as???? Singapore? Philipines ???? Brazil ???? USA ?
In SE Asia Indonesia is head and shoulder above the rest in human right violation with the exception of Burma.
In Asia only Burma, North Korea and people republic of china beat them.
A pretty impressive record!!!!!

The only exception is if the card processing device uses a cell phone data signal
Some pos machines use telephone lines some Internet, I was not able to buy ice cream (after 2 weeks craving) in Sorong airport as I was told Internet did not work and had no cash with me left.

In SE Asia Indonesia is head and shoulder above the rest in human right violation with the exception of Burma.
In Asia only Burma, North Korea and people republic of china beat them.
A pretty impressive record!!!!!

Really, please any link to reliable data?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom