September Galapagos Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nettie-NZ

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this seems a bit early to be asking, but I’m quite excited about my Galapagos trip next year already.

What sort of water temps am I likely to get? I guess I’m looking for justification not to have to take a dry suit with me. But if it really will be that cold I guess I’ll have to.... Please let me know if you’re giving me answers in Fahrenheit or Celsius - my brain works better in Celsius tho please...

Also how easy is it to get from Puerto Baquerizo Moreno to Puerto Ayora? After my dive live aboard finishes (Puerto Baquerizo Moreno) I’m meeting someone who will be flying into Isla Baltra and staying at Puerto Ayora. I think I’ve heard that the ferries can be real ‘vomit comets’, but wasn’t sure about how the options are for flying from one location to the other?

Thanks!

Temps at dive sites are ranging from 14-24C right now. Your liveaboard will have a final full day in Santa Cruz. I recommend you simply disembark there after visiting the giant tortoises. The only thing you will miss is an overnight sail to San Cristobal and breakfast the next morning. It's a lot easier than taking a 7AM ferry back to Santa Cruz. That usually takes 2-2.5 hours and yes, seas can be rough in September in small vessels. I just did this again the other day. I don't get seasick, so for me, the worst part was no coffee before needing to be at the dock at 6:30 AM. But they do offer everyone onboard a bag in case you do get seasick.

Flying is about $170 one way in the small plane. Sept is low season. If they don't have enough passengers, they are likely to cancel at the last minute. Plus, luggage is very expensive. Anything over 25 lbs is $1.50 per pound. Plus, to get from Baltra to Puerto Ayora is over an hour. First the Lobito bus from the airport to the Canal ($5), then cross the ferry ($1), then a taxi to Puerto Ayora ($25).

By far the easiest thing to do is disembark your final full day and stay overnight in Puerto Ayora.

Thank you that is absolutely brilliant advice!!! Much appreciated!

I took a LOB trip to Galapagos in October many moons ago. It was a 14 diving day trip. South of the equator I was perfectly fine in a 7mm farmer john with hooded jacket. Up at Darwin and Wolf I was fine in a 3mm full surf suit. My 2psi. Have fun!

Thanks! Much appreciated! That’s a big difference in conditions. Amazing the effect of the currents, but that’s part of the reason why the place is so special I understand! I’m really looking forward to the diving whether warm or cold

I've been to Galapagos twice for diving and I'd return in a heartbeat. It is truly a magical place.

I took a LOB trip to Galapagos in October many moons ago. It was a 14 diving day trip. South of the equator I was perfectly fine in a 7mm farmer john with hooded jacket. Up at Darwin and Wolf I was fine in a 3mm full surf suit. My 2psi. Have fun!

Did you find the pipe and red beanie beneficial?

Which LOB did you go on?

Did you find the pipe and red beanie beneficial?

Without doubt.

Which LOB did you go on?

The first trip was in 1993 and the second trip was in 2006. I can't recall what I had for breakfast this morning. :) Have to dig through my photos. [I honestly don't recall at the moment - kinda frightening]

Update: I think the 2006 trip was on a boat called "Deep Blue" or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom