Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the stand alone alarm minimum requirement for a vessel of this size and stated purpose surprised me as well. I would think that interconnected alarms with battery backup and emergency lighting, with the alarms wired to a central panel in the wheelhouse, with visual and audible alarms would be a welcome improvement.

However, keep in mind, the NTSB can only make recommendations. The regulatory agencies of which the USCG would be governing in this case I assume, would need to adopt those recommendations and give them the force of law.

I totally agree and was surprised to hear that this is not the case for boats of this type. Most apartment buildings and hotels have interconnected alarm systems because of the nature of such buildings: there can only be a few points of entry/egress for lots of vertically stacked people and therefore there is substantially higher risk from a fire at ground level or on lower levels. Therefore, a fire in one part of the building is basically considered as a fire in the entire building.

I understand that smoke/fire alarm requirements such as these these were not written into the regs, and am not implying that the owners were at fault, but it seems that going forward this is a pretty commonsense way of reducing risk. Especially due to the VERY bottlenecked/impacted sleeping quarters. It seems especially critical to consider that a fire on one part of the boat is a fire on the entire boat.

We, as humans do not like things we cannot control; to think that the cause of this could just be a faulty piece of gear and not a mistake made by a human, (which of course we would never make) makes us feel safer. And, to Cerich point, how many lithium batteries do we use daily?

For a dive trip, I have my dive computer; phone; tablet; camera and spare battery; camera lights and wireless headphones, and that is a basic trip. For serious photographers, they have bigger camera's and lights,

The issue is not new and there have been many improvements, but as long as people buy inferior product, (usually unknowingly) and treat it like any other battery, we will have issues. The TSA publishes a report of only lith issues, and it is extensive. I have no problem imagining an explosion either on the charging table that caused everything else on the table to catch fire, or in the bunk room.

I have been on that boat, my bunk was under the stairs, all bunks have curtains, people have their clothing spread out in the bunk, lots of flammables. There are some outlets in the bunk room, and I can easily see someone deciding to utilize it for something.

And if there was a watch person awake in the wheelhouse, it is easy to see how they may not have seen it start, because it is behind and below the area. Especially if it started in the bunk room which has been implied.

It has caused me to rethink how and where I purchase, handle and travel with lith batteries. Unless you buy directly from the brand website, you really do not know if you are getting an inferior product, and that inferiority could be drastic, such as not using the right configuration of raw materials, and certainly having smart batteries that sense when they are full and stop charging. Overcharging can be a real issue.

I have a trip coming up in October to dive the Seychelles; and I am absolutely taking all my removable batteries in a Li Po safe container. Even at home we are rethinking how we charge and store anything battery related.

How about returning to NiMH batteries when possible; they don’t have the same problems....

*edit* sorry Mods didn’t see the note above, move this if needed. Should be NiMH battery, not NiCAD.

I would choose to have good smoke/heat alarms, safety measures on charging tables and wiring, and a well-thought out evacuation plan that doesn't involve using power tools in the dark or building the hull flimsy enough to easily cut through. The Channel Islands ain't Cozumel. On a small liveaboard (Second Stage), we got bashed around hard enough on the way to San Nic to bust open our freshwater tanks.

It appeared that this event was while anchored with calm seas. All the points you raised about detection, charging batteries etc make sense yet something failed. If you look at my five points to be addressed, things appear to have failed in at least two areas. Whatever caused the fire may have been a ship system or something brought on board by a customer/crew member. Then the detection/alerting system may have failed. Fire suppression may not have been possible with even additional fire extinguishers located from a spot not on fire.

The final point about a good escape plan is that with both escape routes blocked by fire, there was no alternative. Even the 2 foot square hatch seems marginal under good conditions. I suspect that there may be a viable option but it requires preplanning on what will be cut open and will require more than hope and a prayer. It will require a tool of some sort and my starting point for discussion is something similar to that small circular saw.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This summary updated 14 Sept 2019 Updates are also posted on page one of this thread. Please follow links and read surrounding posts to keep up to date.

It is always best to read an entire thread before commenting. Due to the length of this one we are providing & updating this summary for topics covered. We believe this information is credible but it can not be established as proven facts prior to completion of the investigation.

Please be kind when you post here remember the special rules and consider families, friends and survivors who are reading this. Consider Accidents and Incident Threads: Victim Perspective

We can not determine the cause here but discussing possibilities may help to prevent future tragedies.

34 Casualties DNA identified

Conception compliant met or exceeded applicable USCG requirements on last inspection implies approved; fire alarms, fire fighting equipment and escape routes

NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) Preliminary Report
Preliminary Report: Marine DCA19MM047
Discussion points
  • concludes all crew sleeping
  • Statement in Preliminary Report says it may contain errors

Anchor Watch

Rough time line as reported
  • night dive time? commonly done by passengers; NO night dive by Crew
  • 2:30 crew member finished up in the galley verified heating elements were out and cold etc. Then went upstairs to bed. Not indicated if this was the designated Anchor Watch see
  • Between 3 and 3:14, a crew member awoke hearing a bang. He attempted to go down to investigate but stairs already afire.
  • 5 crew were in the wheelhouse two levels above the berth area. 1 crew member in the berth below did not survive.
  • crew jumped to deck, one broke leg other undisclosed ankle injuries
  • Captain first Mayday from Bridge documented 3:14
  • crew tried to reach the passengers from aft passage into the salon/galley then via forward front windows
  • forced from the boat by the fire some swam aft to the dingy & brought it alongside to rescue injured crew
  • sought help from nearby vessel Grape Escape Another Mayday call.

Most suspected causes of fire discussed
Battery discussions here

Original location of fire not yet established
  • former owner believes it started in passenger berth area
  • some believe it started in galley/salon area
Conception's layout and facilities
Exits from Dorm
  • main exit - stairs to starboard forward end of the dorm to the galley/salon.
  • emergency hatch above bunks at aft end of dorm exited in aft portion of the salon, just inside the passageway to the after deck.
  • no locked doors to the galley, salon or berth area.

The design of berth area and escape hatches discussed extensively. It meets current USCG standards which many believe may be changed as a result of this tragedy.

Excellent DAN article Mental Health post incident

Google Map link that shows Platt Harbor and the US Coast Guard Station, Channel Islands. Ventura and Santa Barbara are to the north