Help me decide where to dive in Indonesia...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my mind, if you like macro, and if (and I stress if) conditions are right the Padang Bai Jetty is the best dive in Bali. It is shallow and can be super clear, warm, and freakin' packed to the gills with critters: frogfish, awesome nudis, octopi (some with blue rings), the list goes on and on... I've spent an hour and a half there shooting pretty much nonstop. Every now and then the surge and vis sucks, but when it is good it is very, very good.

In my mind, if you like macro then if (and I stress if) conditions are right the Padang Bai Jetty is the best dive in Bali. It is shallow and can be super clear, warm, and freakin' packed to the gills with critters: frogfish, awesome nudis, octopi (some with blue rings), the list goes on and on... I've spent an hour and a half there shooting pretty much nonstop. Every now and then the surge and vis sucks, but when it is good it is very, very good.

Yes, I've had lots of fun under the jetty but I just loves me some coral gardens!

In my mind, if you like macro, and if (and I stress if) conditions are right the Padang Bai Jetty is the best dive in Bali. It is shallow and can be super clear, warm, and freakin' packed to the gills with critters: frogfish, awesome nudis, octopi (some with blue rings), the list goes on and on... I've spent an hour and a half there shooting pretty much nonstop. Every now and then the surge and vis sucks, but when it is good it is very, very good.
I used to like Jetty but not that much anymore... at the point I'm not recommending it.
Most of the great critters we know are gone : no more rhinopias, no more Janolus sp. nudis.
Last time I dived Jetty twice, that means a month ago, we didn't see much on the first morning dive so we relocated to Jepun for the second dive. Two days afterwards we did Jetty on an afternoon dive : worst viz I ever exprienced at the bottom, it was sandswept so we dived at mid depth hovering between the pillars. We set a world record that time : 15 giant frogfish, some them sitting on top of each other in the gorgonians. Litterally schools of frogfish.

Edit : huh, I just re-read your post.
Are you, Matt the self proclaimed warm water wimp, trying to fool us ? Jetty and warm water are just as closely related to diving Anemone City in a speedo !!! That was a freakin' 24C last month !!! (and icecold 22C on Secret Jepun).

I used to like Jetty but not that much anymore... at the point I'm not recommending it.
Most of the great critters we know are gone : no more rhinopias, no more Janolus sp. nudis.
Last time I dived Jetty twice, that means a month ago, we didn't see much on the first morning dive so we relocated to Jepun for the second dive. Tw days afterwards we did Jetty on an afternoon dive : worst viz I ever exprienced at the bottom, it was sandswept so we dived at mid depth hovering between the pillars. We set a world record that time : 15 giant frogfish, some them sitting on top of each other in the gorgonians. Litterally schools of frogfish

Sounds terrible, what a horrible dive, Luko.

Sounds terrible, what a horrible dive, Luko.
I would have prefered 15 rhinopias. But like Mick Jagger the philosopher says "You can't always get what you want"

I was happy at Absolute Scuba in Padang Bai. It is nice and I really like the management
btw do you dive with Aswar now at Absolute? He's a friend since his Murex Bangka years, I'd always hire him for private guiding in Bangka.

So if it were me, Nusa Lembongan and or Nusa Penida would be my first choice

Liberty is on the other coast and it's roughly a 3hr trip. My personal opinion is that Liberty is over hyped. But if Macro is your thing then Luko is the expert

My next port of call would be Komodo with is about 90 mins flight, there are lots of options there from a week trip, 3 day or day boat. With Komodo you need to be choosy about a boat. Some of the best sites perform with some current, depending on the make up of the guests, then you'll be in current or not. You don't want to be on a boat that's avoiding current if that's what you want (of vis versa)

RA is a bit far, Sorong is 3hr flight (IFRC)

btw do you dive with Aswar now at Absolute? He's a friend since his Murex Bangka years, I'd always hire him for private guiding in Bangka.

I did and would love to more but he sticks pretty much to instruction. Hadn't thought to see about having him private guide. Hmmm

Back
Top Bottom