What cable does fischer use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djshaw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Everybody!

I'm trying to make a pressure pot to test o2 sensors, very much like http://wrecklessdiver.com/building-50-o2-cell-checker/. I don't have a spare fischer cable to donate to the project. And buying a cable from a rebreather manufacturer is prohibitively expensive. I don't need anything with connectors on either end. I will solder or crimp whatever I need.

I'm looking for a cable that I can feed through a cable gland, and not have any leaks through or around the cable. I figure that my best option is to source the same cable that fischer uses.

Any thoughts on where I could buy such a cable?

Thanks!

Depends on how many conductors you want. You can use any cable that fits the gland of your choice. Something like this would give you enough conductors to wire up several cells to any number of connectors.

Water blocked marine cable 9 CORES

That looks like it will work for my purposes.

If I wanted to get the same from a North American distributor, what would I order? Do we know anything about the cable specifications?

If its for a test harness I wouldnt get too hung up on the type of cable. I think any typical PVC sheathed cable should be ok to seal with the gland. I think the trouble is that your pressure is on the inside of the vessel and can escape via the inside of the cable, both between the sheath and the insulation of individual cores and also between the strands of the copper in each core. you could use epoxy resin to seal this up. Lots of good ideas for this kind of stuff can be found with the people that build DIY ROV's

Hardware

Call Hueson, they're in Mass. Dunno if they'll have something at a price point that's acceptable to you, but they may be able to send you a sample? You are being redirected...

Alternatively, give Shearwater a call and ask where they get their cables from.

Wonderful resources, thanks!

I poked around the dm9876's link, and I found bluerobotics.com, and it looks like they sell cutoffs from their control tethers which might work for me: Fathom Slim ROV Tether (Random Lengths).

I might also call Shearwater. They had great customer service when I needed to replace my screen protector. And I'm in Canada, so if I can get something through them, I might be able to avoid import and duties fees.

Wonderful resources, thanks!

I poked around the dm9876's link, and I found bluerobotics.com, and it looks like they sell cutoffs from their control tethers which might work for me: Fathom Slim ROV Tether (Random Lengths).

I might also call Shearwater. They had great customer service when I needed to replace my screen protector. And I'm in Canada, so if I can get something through them, I might be able to avoid import and duties fees.

That tether cable is one pair of 26awg wire, and it's fiber reinforced, so the "water blocking compound" may or may not be useful when you pressurize your checker pot. This is designed for ROV's where the penetration is to a sealed 1 atmosphere vessel, not something that's going to be at like, 10atm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom