Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the crew made a night dive after passengers were asleep
doesn’t bother me at all. Perhaps it was sop and as
long as sufficient crew remain on board, I see no problem.’ I just think, if true, it could be useful information- maybe? it would help to verify that there was no fire or smoke at the time of their return. Could help to verify timelines etc.
There is SOOOO much misinformation going around. Let me give you a definitive answer:
THE CREW DID NOT MAKE A NIGHT DIVE AFTER THE PASSENGERS WERE ASLEEP.
Is that definitive enough?

The PASSENGERS made a night dive at an unspecified time. But SOP would be after dinner so maybe around 8PM-ish, likely wrapping up 10PM-ish.

- Ken

I see some exotic speculations about the bump or thump being something exploding, a smoldering fire reigniting, etc.

Given the timeline: Bump or thump, opening the wheelhouse door and seeing flames, I would guess (note that word) it was simply something structurally compromised collapsing (table, part of the ceiling falling, etc.).

Roak

I hope divers take some of these lessons home since we all live in infernos that are just waiting to happen.
  • There's still knob & tube wiring out there
  • People smoke in bed
  • Charge huge lithium batteries in their attached garage... right next to a tank of gasoline, cans of paint thinner, and a propane bottle for the BBQ
  • Don't have fire extinguishers in their kitchens
  • Don't have code compliant smoke detectors in their grandfathered residences
  • Arrange headboards that partially block emergency egress windows
  • Apply for variances so they don't have to install fire sprinklers
  • Never consider fire resistance of home furnishings
  • Have never inspected their dryer vents
  • Have no idea that oily rags and paper towels can spontaneously combust
  • Still use extension cords that their puppies chewed on
  • Cut the ground prong off power plugs
  • Stack firewood against their house

Ya got me on one, but not too bad a one. I grew up on a farm back east where the buildings were from a hundred to over two hundred years old. Fire safety was on the top of the list, as they were tinderboxes. Some electrical was just two wires on a ceramic insulator holding them apart and off the beams.

Bob

Someone else mentioned something similar but just a point about fire and it’s flashing over. I burn oak as my primary heat source, when the house is warm and it’s bed time I bank down the fire by shutting off the air supply vent in the airtight stove, as the fire dies down the heat flow out of the stack stops or slows way down, if there is a good bank of coals air will come back down the stack (15ft) and allow the gasses to reignite, the sound is very distinctive. From another room it could be described as a bump or thump, sometimes I just cut in a little air to stop this process to let the fire burn down on its own.

This only relates to this thread in that a smoldering fire will make a distinctive sound once it gets the O2 it needs. I only relate this because some of us have little to no experience with with fire in an enclosed space, it may serve to offer an explanation for the bump described and it may (probably) have nothing to do with it.
Based solely on the comments by people who have been on the boat diving, the back doors are apparently never closed. That's probably a 7 ft by 6 ft opening. That might limit airflow on a fully developed inferno, but I wouldn't except it to starve a developing fire.

I believe those are essentially different but related effects, backdraft and flashover. The first is essentially hot gas staved of oxygen, so when oxygen suddenly becomes available (a window breaks, a door opens) it suddenly and violently ignites. The second is the buildup from hot gas from a starting fire reaching the point where it, and items nearby, suddenly ignite.

Uh, like cutting a hole in the hull below the waterline?

Like handing these out to your bunkmates:
smokehood.jpg

So they can wear them while getting into these:
fireshelter.jpg

And once that's squared away, the rescue hero can use this to get through the bulkhead into the forward compartment:
breachingcharge.jpg

Where ideally the hero can then get everyone into a diver escape mechanism for rapid expulsion into the ocean:
torpedotubes.jpg

Or, we could all just stop, wait until we actually know something, and then share some opinions.

Based solely on the comments by people who have been on the boat diving, the back doors are apparently never closed. That's probably a 7 ft by 6 ft opening. That might limit airflow on a fully developed inferno, but I wouldn't except it to starve a developing fire.
I was t offering speculation, I agree with your point, just that fire can make some weird sounds, I won’t speculate as to any cause at this point.

I see some exotic speculations about the bump or thump being something exploding, a smoldering fire reigniting, etc. Given the timeline: Bump or thump, opening the wheelhouse door and seeing flames, I would guess (note that word) it was simply something structurally compromised collapsing (table, part of the ceiling falling, etc.).Roak
First, thanks for clearly labeling "guess". (You know how I can get . . .)

Yes, "but". The "but" only being that we don't know (at least I personally haven't seen) what the time is between the bump/noise and the door opening to flames. If it bump and open door within 10 seconds? Or is it bump, what was that, probably nothing, maybe I should get up, where are my glasses, let me put on some pants and shoes, and then the door opens to flames but minutes have gone by. Don't know and hopefully the investigation will provide some definitive answers.

- Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom