Giant sea bass in our backyard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Merry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
With vis clearing up a bit, Phil and I dove Hermosa Artificial Reef. A patchwork of concrete blocks and pilings, it has become a home to some, and a courting spot to other giant sea bass. We contribute our images to researchers at UC Santa Barbara who use pattern recognition software to identify individual, uniquely marked GSB. Giant sea bass are a critically endangered species and this study will help determine if they are making a comeback.

Sightings and images of the full fish are greatly appreciated and can be reported at: Spotting Giant Sea Bass

Massive gray moon sponge dominates an 8-foot pillar we couldn't resist naming "Spongehenge". At least 15 GSB aggregated in the water column above us. I underexposed quite a few while wrestling with a new lens, so please forgive the green and graineyness.

Spongehenge_DSC5960-X2.jpg

Massive gray moon sponge!
Spongehenge_DSC5963-X2.jpg

Courting behavior
GSB_DSC6006-X2.jpg

GSB_DSC6008-X2.jpg

GSB_DSC6000-X2.jpg

GSB_DSC5996-XL.jpg

More giant sea bass at link below.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-8_15-45-43.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-8_15-45-43.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 75
My pictures are not as sharp as yours but clearly in the same spot, likely some of the same fish. Thanks for the info about the UC Santa Barbara research. These were taken on 8/20/2019.

Attachments

• P8200617.JPG
    P8200617.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 66
  • P8200628.JPG
    P8200628.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 79
  • P8200640.JPG
    P8200640.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 67
Wow, that's great Cathy! What a coincidence. It's nice to know that you were on that site, too.
The group above would love to have your third image to evaluate as another sighting from Hermosa Artificial Reef. Thank you so much for posting it.

Wow, that's great Cathy! What a coincidence. It's nice to know that you were on that site, too.
The group above would love to have your third image to evaluate as another sighting from Hermosa Artificial Reef. Thank you so much for posting it.
I submitted the image after I posted here. I really enjoy diving Hermosa Reef but don't usually have camera with me. Soon we will be out scouting for lobster. Our boat is Bottomtime. A few years ago someone came by who thought they knew us. Probably thinking Max Bottomtime? Another coincidence. I really enjoy both of your pictures. The nudibranchs are amazing.

@Merry & @CathyCA
Really great images considering the conditions !!

Late last night received an email. "Just a quick e-mail to let you know that the encounter that you submitted has been added as a new, previously unidentified giant sea bass!" GSB255.

Pretty cool. Thanks again for alerting me to their research.

When we moved No Pressure to Port Royal we saw Bottomtime right away. Merry has talked to Don at the marina, and we enjoy his videos. I didn't know you were that Cathy until last night. :)

@Merry , are you suggesting in photo 3 that the GSB is courting Phil (I assume that's him with the camera in the background)?

@Merry , are you suggesting in photo 3 that the GSB is courting Phil (I assume that's him with the camera in the background)?

LOL, it could happen!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom