How do you secure your tray arms and strobe when boat diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Naboodiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just bought my first strobe and tray arm package. My concern is how to best secure the strobe/arms during boat exit and reentry. No matter how I tighten the clamps the arm with the heavy strobe seen to flop about. I don't want my brand new strobe/arms/optical cable damaged by the boat crew as I start or finish my dive. If you would please share your thoughts, I would like to hear how other divers have managed to secure there photo gear to prevent damage. Pictures are welcomed. Thanks much in advance.

I keep my strobes and strobe arms tucked until I'm under water. If I tighten the clamps enough to keep the arms extended over water, I can't make those easy minor adjustments under water without faffing with loosening the clamps.

So the best solution for me is to have the strobe arms tucked until I'm under water, and then extending them and tightening the clamps "just so". And when I'm approaching my safety stop I re-tuck the strobes and clip off my rig. With the lanyard clipped to my hip D-ring and the rig clipped to my shoulder D-ring, I can basically forget about the rig until I'm on deck (or, if I'm shore diving, on dry land). No matter whether or not I doff my rig before climbing aboard.

I made a strap with rope, two bolt snaps, and rubber tubing that I clip to my strobe arms. If I have to hand my camera up, I make sure the person on the boat grabs the strap.
_D3X2273.jpg
_D3X2272.jpg

I made a strap with rope, two bolt snaps, and rubber tubing that I clip to my strobe arms.
I have similar one on my rig. Not to secure the strobe arms, but to have something solid to hang on to (and for the boat tender to grip when they're handing me my camera rig after I've splashed). It's clipped to the clamps closest to the tray arms.

I use the same - rope with bolt snaps at each end. Strobes tucked under while getting in or out of the water.

I made a strap with rope, two bolt snaps, and rubber tubing that I clip to my strobe arms. If I have to hand my camera up, I make sure the person on the boat grabs the strap.
View attachment 539461 View attachment 539462

If you're not a DIY guy, Sea and Sea makes a housing lanyard for about $75. works well.

I saw a guy with a small camera rig that had a crewman lower it over the side in a mesh game bag.

Somewhat related, insulated bags are handy for protecting camera rigs onboard. The insulation protects it from heat and provides some impact protection. They also hold freshwater so can be used for post-dive rinses.

upload_2019-9-10_15-21-3.png

I came up with this when diving in sloppy seas to protect against the ball joints working loose:

full.jpg

It may not work for your strobe arms but might be useful for others. It is just paracord with two constrictor knots and an overhand knot in the middle.

And when you tuck your arms, give a little thought to how things face. I usually rotate my strobes to protect the faces, and occasionally leave one strobe in front of my lens, despite having a tethered protective lens cap.

The AO coolers are excellent for transport/storage/rinse on day boats and liveaboards. I travel with mine in my checked bag and take it on all my dive trips. Amazon.com : AO Coolers Original Soft Cooler with High-Density Insulation, Black, 12-Can : Sports & Outdoors I use the 24 can size. It is an awesome cooler when not in use for cameras. It holds ice for > 24 hours.

I tighten the clamps and fold the strobes towards the center line of the camera and pull the arms in. The deck hands usually know how to handle my camera and I will usually tell them how I prefer to do it at the start of the diving. Be nice and polite in how you communicate it. Most of my diving is on and off zodiacs/ribs/dinghies with or without ladders. It has never been an issue. I have a wide angle lens with a dome and 2 8" arms on each side along with 8 jumbo Stix floats with 2 YS-D2's on the end so it's not "small" by any maans.

When I get back onto the liveaboard or the day boat I put it in my AO cooler. It protects it from the sun beating down on it and I have my own personal rinse tank. I can use it to transport it on and off the day boat as well.

@MaxBottomtime , @Storker , @Darnold9999 The grab handle is the BEST idea for many of us on deck that help grab cameras from divers near the ladder. Your camera rigs are usually VERY EXPENSIVE and us on deck don't always know the correct hand grab. With the grab handle it makes it so easy for us to know you already pre-tested it out and we just use the grab handle. When I'm reach for it, the photog also yells to me what color cooler to put it in. The very last thing any of us on deck wants to do is scratch or damage a $10,000 - $15,000 rig. Grab handles and colored coolers really make it easy for us on deck, Thanks !!

Back
Top Bottom