Recent Experience at Brothers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone have experience with how the LOBs are dealing with the overnight mooring and number of boat restrictions at the Brothers? How many dives at each, etc.?

During my visit in 2016, we moored 2 nights and did 4 dives off each.

In addition, how many boats did you have off Daedalus? I've wondered if the restrictions for the Brothers have increased the activity off Daedalus

Does anyone have experience with how the LOBs are dealing with the overnight mooring and number of boat restrictions at the Brothers? How many dives at each, etc.?

During my visit in 2016, we moored 2 nights and did 4 dives off each.

In addition, how many boats did you have off Daedalus? I've wondered if the restrictions for the Brothers have increased the activity off Daedalus

I was there in April and was pissed to find out we'll only dive the Brothers for a day due to this new directive. Not that I have issues with the directive itself, I'm all for conservation but I would have liked to know in advance so I can make an educated choice whether to take the trip or not, since I've been to D & E before.
The answer to your second question is YES, there were quite a few boats overnighting at Daedalus, not sure if that's because to the Brothers issue or due to rough seas we experienced back in April.
I am planning to go back in September, different operator different boat, when asked they told me they would do two days.

Sorry, just checked my dive logs, we overnighted at Elphinstone, not Brothers. Just got from five weeks of diving in the Red Sea, Anilao, and Alor, and my brain still is mush.

Hi, I was there the month before the closure, so not relevant on that end.
However I was in Sharm recently and asking local guides on my LoB for an update on how Brothers boats are dealing with no mooring given how far it is from any mooring point to do a second day, vs the demand for brothers etc. The info I got was that the new directive is no boats after 4:30 pm, but already allowances are being made for "Eco-responsable" boats (no food waste etc thrown overboard...) to stay to 8-8:30pm. But still no overnights.

I was at Brothers on a LAB last week. We remained only one day at Brothers (2 dives on Big Brother, 1 dive on Little Brother), and the boat hat to leave before 4 pm.
Only a few of us saw very shortly a manta / a tresher shark. No longimanus. A bit disappointing :(

An acquaintance just came back from a BDE and they dove only 1 day at Brothers (2 dives at Big Brother and 1 dive at Small Brother)

The good point is he saw Longimanus (Oceanic Whitetips) on the 3 spots (Brothers, Daedelus & Elphinstone) They were there on 7 different dives.
On the other hand, no Hammerhead, no Thresher and only one Grey shark at Brothers.

We just got back we were on the Boat sept 12-18. We did 1 day at brothers 2 dives at little brother 1 dive at big Brother then moved to Daedalus for 2 days.

At little brother we saw a juvenile thresher. At Big Brother we saw a oceanic white tip and a thresher.

At Daedalus the water was too warm (29 degrees) for hammerheads. We did see 2 but they were really deep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom