Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
An extensive report, but worth reading if you do not know how a battery could have caused this. There are hundreds of reports on airplanes; the TSA keeps track, but more importantly, all it takes is damaged battery which can be nothing more than dropping it. Also, knock offs are difficult to tell if they are trying to copy a legitimate brand. Lith batteries are dangerous; they can and do explode and when they do, they cause fire. Safety Concerns with Li-ion Batteries – Battery University
Thanks for the link to Battery University. Lots of good info there. Here's my favorite quote from that article:

"The temperature can quickly reach 500C (932F), at which point the cell catches fire or it explodes. This thermal runaway that occurs is known as “venting with flame.” “Rapid disassembly” is the preferred term by the battery industry."

"Rapid disassembly" indeed!!

AP Report:

Divers resumed searching for the final victim Tuesday as salvage operations to raise the Conception out of the water also restarted.

My hypothetical questions are these:

• Is a 3am unwitnessed, unalarmed cabin fire that has progressed to flashover an unsurvivable event?
  • Are there no warnings to people in lower bunks, and if the crew fails to notice any signs of the fire is there entirely the possibility that this could happen again tomorrow?
  • Also, to use the current 737 MAX phrasing, would all this be resting on a "single point of failure" being one 9V battery in a cabin smoke alarm - if one had even been installed?

I had earlier posted a picture of the Vision showing the stairs down to the deck, but I’ve since seen a picture of the Conception and it is a bit different. The stairs angle such that the top entry is directly above the salon exit so about any amount of smoke/heat pouring out would block the path (can’t find the pic, sorry).

The Truth’s ladder is away from the exit, a good thing:

upload_2019-9-10_14-5-51.png

My hypothetical questions are these:

• Is a 3am unwitnessed, unalarmed cabin fire that has progressed to flashover an unsurvivable event?
  • Are there no warnings to people in lower bunks, and if the crew fails to notice any signs of the fire is there entirely the possibility that this could happen again tomorrow?
  • Also, to use the current 737 MAX phrasing, would all this be resting on a "single point of failure" being one 9V battery in a cabin smoke alarm - if one had even been installed?
Yes. If you are in or need to pass through a room that has progressed to flashover you are not going to make it out without the support of a couple of engine companies that are already there with hoses pouring water on the fire.

Yes. A fiberglass boat is made of plastic. If it burns it is toxic. Someone on gCaptain said the hull was a WEST system composite, Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique. The fact the crewman who noticed the fire heard no alarms and nobody else on the boat did is not good, because without an alarm early the toxins from the fire are going to be highly dangerous to anyone asleep.

No idea. There is known to be a heat detector in the galley, and I would have expected that to trip before the fire progressed to where it was when found.

Uh, like cutting a hole in the hull below the waterline?

Who said cut a hole below the waterline?

Or, we could all just stop, wait until we actually know something, and then share some opinions.

In other words, not take the common sense approach and identify possibly causes and implement ways to prevent it from happening again.

How many people would get on a similar boat next week with no changes made?

Or if you expect changes that may prevent a recurrence, what would they be?

In other words, not take the common sense approach and identify possibly causes and implement ways to prevent it from happening again.

I would get on a Truth Aquatics boat next week without any changes to the exits. I assume there would be changes to battery charging and fire warning system. And I certainty don’t want a saw down in the bunk room available to passengers.

Because these vessels made thousands of safe trips over the past 30+ years and there's no evidence your changes are even relevant to the cause here.

ensure no more batteries are charged in the bunk house sure
add smoke detectors sure
inspect and test installed wiring for corrosion/heating/resistance sure

provide a saw to cut open the hull? no

I'd hope for something related to battery charging changes but not worried about the exits, I'd go. Considering we were scheduled to be on the Conception over Veteran's day weekend, look forward to scheduling a makeup trip on a different Truth boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom