Seasick immediately after surfacing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably not the OP's issue but I have a friend who would vomit on the boat after diving - turned out to be co2 related so a rethink on breathing technique fixed him.

Surfacing into a lungful of diesel fumes can get anyone heaving over the side, it's happened to me.

Yes I recall feeling nauseated on other dives in past years due to this. Possibly aggravated my condition on this dive too as the boat started to leave after everyone onboarded ...

Diesel, as @IT. mentioned, doesn't help, especially with bad viz during the dive, lots of current, some surge, while I'm wearing a hood, and some knocking surface or safety stop conditions.

All of the above was true on this dive - although I am not sure how a hoodie would aggravate anything.

Since I had persistent ear problems the entire trip, I am more inclined to believe DDMs diagnosis may be the primary factor. Its a lesson for me - the experience that things can go (possibly terribly) wrong even after surfacing. I've been on drift dives where we waited more than 20 mins for another boat to locate us (in calm surface conditions) thankfully it wasn't this dive, we surfaced very close to the boat. While I was safely on the boat and just before puking, I had vertigo/tunnel vision and my situational awareness was almost nil. Now imagine this happening in choppy waters with terrifying big waves by chance (of course surfacing from a dive in such conditions wouldn't be planned like this) .... makes me shudder. Going forward - A reminder for me to keep a grip on myself and not let my guard down just because the dive is about to get over

P

Probably not the OP's issue but I have a friend who would vomit on the boat after diving - turned out to be co2 related so a rethink on breathing technique fixed him.

Thats interesting. I breathe out 3x the amount of time I breathe in .. to pace my air consumption. Is that wrong? I've have been doing this for years ...

P

All of the above was true on this dive - although I am not sure how a hoodie would aggravate anything.

Whenever I wear a hood, I find that I get headaches and tend to get nauseated more easily. I am not sure if it's because of the pressure, or the resistance that it puts upon my jaw and where it places it, or because it affects how much I can turn my head and then I move my eyes more as a result. Maybe the docs on the board can explain why it might be the case?

Something that has worked for me is to take Dramamine before diving an area that I know will have strong currents, chop, surge, etc. It's very YMMV and it is not medical advice, just something that works for me. I dive without issues on Dramamine and it is a great preemptive strike against any type of seasickness, whether while diving or on the surface.

Good luck and I hope you feel better next time! :)

Whenever I wear a hood, I find that I get headaches and tend to get nauseated more easily. I am not sure if it's because of the pressure, or the resistance that it puts upon my jaw and where it places it, or because it affects how much I can turn my head and then I move my eyes more as a result. Maybe the docs on the board can explain why it might be the case?

Something that has worked for me is to take Dramamine before diving
Good luck and I hope you feel better next time! :)

I use a simple cap type hood with a chin strap I doubt it. Is yours with a neck that ends at the shoulder?

Now I remember I took dramamine during the surface interval. The DM offered it to me. This and anti-histamines make me drowsy and heavy - even the so called non-drowsy formulas ..

Thanks and cheers!
P

I use a simple cap type hood with a chin strap I doubt it. Is yours with a neck that ends at the shoulder?

Now I remember I took dramamine during the surface interval. The DM offered it to me. This and anti-histamines make me drowsy and heavy - even the so called non-drowsy formulas ..

Thanks and cheers!
P

Yes, the hoods I wear for cold water are fully bibbed hoods. The worst! Especially the ones attached to my semi-dry.

Maybe you can try Bonine instead. You may react to it differently..I don't get drowsy on Dramamine but I have been curious about Bonine.

If it's the diesel fumes you can do a few things to avoid it. Well 2 things.

Keep reg in mouth until the gear comes off, you can even continue to breathe through the reg AFTER you remove your gear if you can't do the other thing which is get as far to the bow as you can.

I've seen divers sucking off of tanks all the way back to the dock. Thought it was because they were under the impression that breathing Nitrox makes them feel better and/or less tired but it's more likely that they just want the clean air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom