Boston, MA PADI OW Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OmarM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Folks,

I am looking to find a good certification for my girlfriend who is looking to get into diving. I have found a program called CORE Diving in RI that will do it all for about $450. I was wondering if anyone knew of other outfits in the region for a similar price? Also if anyone has heard of CORE please let me know!

Thanks!

I am looking to find a good certification for my girlfriend

So are you looking for good or cheap? :)

I would suggest to move this post (or create another one?) in the New England forum, if you are looking at MA, RI, CT, as a location. I would imagine that quite a few local divers monitor that forum specifically, and may miss your post.

I know Boston Scuba does certifications, and have their own boat right next to the shop for OW checkout dives, which is rather rare for the area I believe. But their website quotes about $600 for the OW class. I dove with them, but don't have any first-hand class experience with them.

Where exactly is your girlfriend? You say Boston in title, then mention something in RI.

Looks like Boston scuba does not include the actual OW dives in that $600. If you don’t do a referral the OW dives on their boat are an additional 300. (I assume the place in RI is shore dives - while your priority should be good instruction, doing shore dives is a reasonable way to save money.)

Looks like Boston scuba does not include the actual OW dives in that $600. If you don’t do a referral the OW dives on their boat are an additional 300. (I assume the place in RI is shore dives - while your priority should be good instruction, doing shore dives is a reasonable way to save money.)

You are right. In that case I'd say it is too much.

While I agree that quality of instruction is important, I believe it's less of a factor for OW PADI class than, say, a more advanced recreational or technical course. All shops will be teaching the same curriculum, and within the same shop you can have instructors with vastly different personalities, so it would be very hard to say "this shop offers better instruction than that shop".

Back
Top Bottom