Tension in Papua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No dog in this fight? No axe to grind, I think you mean. Every thinking, caring person on the face of the earth has a dog in this fight, as people generally do not tolerate genocide or ethnic cleansing, take your pick of terms. Neighboring Pacific island nations have stated in the United Nations general assembly that they have received smuggled reports and video (and they would have to be smuggled as the Indonesian gov't have cut off internet access) that genocide is taking place. The UN places enough credence on these reports that they are planning an inspection tour by the Human Rights commission.
Perhaps you are fine living and working within such an evil, vile regime, but others may not be. Hence the posting of information here. Readers can do their own research and make up there own minds.

I think it should be about diving here. But anyway, Indonesia did not attack Iraq and interferes in many other countries. We at least have freedom of press and a democracy, something cannot be said about Singapore. And our police did not kill thousands of people without trial such as happened in the Philippines: According to the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA), 4,948 suspected drug users and dealers died during police operations from July 1, 2016 to September 30, 2018. But this does not include the thousands of others killed by unidentified gunmen. According to the Philippine National Police (PNP), 22,983 such deaths since the “war on drugs” began are classified as “homicides under investigation.”. Yes, much should be much better in Indonesia, and the same is true for all other countries.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please keep this thread on track. It is about tensions in Papua, Indonesia only and the concern of those diving there or intending to do so.

As far as the US - I found your comment somewhat smug. So you're fine with hey we got a big lot of $ out there just waiting to be ripped out of the ground - we will just get the Indo's to wash the blood off it before it touches our hands?

You misunderstood my comment. Where does it say that I’m fine with that? It’s not fine for anyone to get ripped off. There were 2 countries trying to colonize West Papua. Some West Papuans chose Indonesia. US government being concerned of the communist expansion to South East Asia and lobbied by Freeport-McMoran for the gold/copper mining in part of West Papua, sided over Indonesia. I just stated that’s what happened. Stop putting words in my mouth!

Simply misunderstood your viewpoint there that's all Dan.

In SE Asia Indonesia is head and shoulder above the rest in human right violation with the exception of Burma.
In Asia only Burma, North Korea and people republic of china beat them.
A pretty impressive record!!!!!
Seriously?
In Cambodia, ex Khmer Rouge military Hun Sen and his family have been in since 85, (probably with the love and support of all the people...lol.. )
Laos has only one political party for the good of all their people too, I guess.
Can we talk about Brunei for freedom of religion, speech, press?
Malaysia needed the return of a 95 years old ex dictator (who in his heydays trialed his ex deputy for "sodomy" while displaying antisemitic statements against George Soros), to get rid of rising islamist parties.

I don't think any of those countries would qualify to give political lessons to Indonesia.

Everyone is entitled to their own decisions on where to go and spend their money. If they decide to omit Indonesia from their dive plans, it is their loss. They may not feel that way because they just don't know what they don't know because they haven't been there. It is some of the best if not the very best diving this world has to offer as far as color, coral, variety, and density of species. If anything, maybe we (collectively, as divers) have something to gain here; it's also one less person out there to potentially ruin something so good because of how human impact and tourism development affects these pristine areas.

For the rest of us, I hope our paths cross in one way or another in Indonesia. It really is a special place.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread is about Papua and only Papua. Any further comments/commentary on areas other than Papua will be deleted without notice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom