Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking if a one in a pile of batteries ignited, starting a chain reaction, it could get ugly real quick. Such that unless the watchman was nearby, it may not of made a difference. But then at least there would be a chance, seems there was none under the circumstances. That door was the only exit. So disturbing.

The report is based on initial interviews with three crew members. If those three were asleep, how could they know what the other two on the upper deck were doing? I'll reserve judgement until more facts are known..

People know if they always kept a night watch or not. I’m sure crew members rotated in and out of service on many different trips. There are many people not directly involved who know what the truth is. I have no idea myself.

On a dead calm night with the boat enveloped in fog, sitting on a secure anchorage, could entice someone to doze off.

Whether this was sop or someone dozed off should be pretty easy to discern.

If all the crew had full time day responsibilities, then I would have to assume that the capt would allocate 2 hr watches for each crew from between maybe 11 to 6 or something along those lines.

Someone standing a real watch would definitely see bright flickering, if lithium batteries are the source. And even if they were not, when they start burning, they are very bright. EDITED BY MODERATOR.
I'm here to tell ya, you smell the chargers get hot. If you are anywhere near where the chargers were, EDITED BY MODERATOR

People know if they always kept a night watch or not. I’m sure crew members rotated in and out of service on many different trips. There are many people not directly involved who know what the truth is. I have no idea myself.

On a dead calm night with the boat enveloped in fog, sitting on a secure anchorage, could entice someone to doze off.

Whether this was sop or someone dozed off should be pretty easy to discern.
The Mate or the Master were required to be on watch and available 24/7. This was an inspected vessel. You don't leave the safety of an inspected vessel to some guy off the street. It is required to have a mate and a master, and whether it's stated or not, one of them is always awake when passengers are onboard.

The berthing areas were the only place that required a smoke detector. Read the thread.

I have been read the entire thread from start to finish and am fully aware of this fact. Read my post again. Nowhere did I say a smoke detector was ever required in the galley. My intent was merely to point out that technology has changed and that it may now be possible to place smoke detectors in cooking areas, whereas it wasn't in the past.

If I muddled things a bit with my last sentence, wherein I simply tried to make it clear that I was speaking generally with no expertise or intent to provide guidance in maritime matters, I apologize. I have studiously tried to avoid being a keyboard expert on these forums.

QUOTED POST HAS BEEN DELETED BY MODERATOR

A T boat with 6 crew and 33 passengers absolutely has to have someone awake 24/7.

Not that its an excuse, but I would like to know if the sleeping watch was by accident or the captain actually allowed it. I can definitely imagine a mate helping customers all day in the sun falling asleep inadvertently at 2 or 3 am. People fall asleep at the wheel driving everyday, which is one reason DOT enforces rest breaks on truckers.

QUOTED POST HAS BEEN DELETED BY MODERATOR

I'm not surprised by the unconditional defense of the company, boat, and crew offered by long standing patrons. I'm sure there are many very real friendships involved. It's normal human loyalty, and I would expect nothing less.

The rest, like me, who have had no prior experience or contact with the, company, crew, or boats have the benefit of the objectivity that remoteness provides.

This report looks bad.....but for those of us who have been objective through our lack of prior dealings with TG.....let us not now resort to "I told you so."

This is still most importantly an unspeakable tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom