Fire on dive boat Conception in CA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great image of Fire Station # 1...In attachment this area of rear galley outer wall survived the fire to some extent. Right under the water spout you see a melted window space and below that a black square which is fire station # 1. The next image is of the interior of the boat in this same area. Lower right hand area shows a fire extinguisher.This corner of the boat also seems to have less fire damage than any other area. I would like to now turn my focus to the interior image looking at the galley door. This Tri-Fold TEAK door system is heavy duty solid panel to some extent supported by some kind of track system. It folds nice and neatly into the wall on the left to create a nice open galley entrance. When its closed unfortunately It's bullet proof. Conception was broken into a few years ago so the entry way could have been beefed up quite a bit Possibly....I don't believe there was a double electronic failure in the sense that both the batteries caught fire and or the smoke alarm didn't go off or possibly a triple failure meaning the batteries blew, the smoke alarm failed, and the fire pump/extinguisher did'nt operate correctly. Very unlikely i would suppose. At this point in the investigation, everyone is aware of the fact that there was a terrible terrible fire. Very sad. I wish officials would address the time -line to the extent of Zulu time vs what time the guys watches( Crew, Everyone else) had on their watches. Im wondering if there is about an hour...i don't know. With all this being said. What if this happened. At 2:30 the watchman had cleaned up the galley, wiped down the deck and/or galley floors etc etc. At this same time there is laundry to do from the day and night dives. As a matter of fact the dryer probably runs non-stop the whole trip. The watchman loads the last bit of laundry into dryer at 2:30. The Chef's brother said he would get up 3:30-4 to start preparing breakfast. Did he start a rash of bacon and have a medical emergency? Or did he start bacon and grab towels from dryer and forget the bacon or was the dryer full of lint and catch fire. There are a million things on this boat that can catch fire but do remind yourself at this time of night/morning this boat was wet and damp all over from fog/dew/diving/showers etc. ..

EDITED BY MODERATOR

IMG_4402.jpg
IMG_4398.jpg

I was under the impression that the 3 crew statements were just in regards to the fire not being mechanical nor electrical, not that they were the only 3 statements that have been taken and there are crew members who have not been interviewed. I would imagine that by now all of the crew members have been interviewed.

Sleeping on watch happens in the real Navy, while babysitting a nuclear reactor. (Not me) Typically these folks wash themselves out far earlier in the process, yet it still happens. Witnessed numerous shotguns dropped into the Cooper River, recovered by divers the following day, quickly followed by a Captains Mast.

I would find it shocking if it didn't happen on a civilian vessel where the level of screening and training is no-where near the level of the real Navy.

I wondered about this earlier in the thread but held my comments until some facts were known. This is pretty much the only way a fire could get to the point it did without detection.

Such a damned shame if this was indeed the result of negligence. RIP

Sleeping on watch happens in the real Navy, while babysitting a nuclear reactor. (Not me) Typically these folks wash themselves out far earlier in the process, yet it still happens. Witnessed numerous shotguns dropped into the Cooper River, recovered by divers the following day, quickly followed by a Captains Mast.

I would find it shocking if it didn't happen on a civilian vessel where the level of screening and training is no-where near the level of the real Navy.

I wondered about this earlier in the thread but held my comments until some facts were known. This is pretty much the only way a fire could get to the point it did without detection.

Yup, but they don't do so in their rack.

It's also why I talked about being anchor and roundsman on a small vessel should be busy and constant motion by training and required by the master...early detection of a problem aside, it keeps them awake for ANY detection to happen.

Let a solo watchman sit down who worked all day, you can almost expect them to fall asleep. It's literally foreseeable by any master who has the required experience to be a master.being honest, at the least by the personal experience of the master on the way up to master. I certainly have found myself nodding off on watch and jolting awake because I sat my butt down and was reading a book...more than once. But with experience, training and responsibilities of mate, engineer or master, you have to be really.. something to not understand that and mitigate

One of the watches on a Sub carries a 12 ga.

12 ga toting watches were famous for dozing off and waking to the horrifying sound of clank-clank-bang-Splish.

These are junior level watches and no they don’t do it in their racks as Cerich pointed out.

(Edited for Opsec)

Can you explain this for us civilians?
Upper deck security watch leaning on railings with shotguns and falling asleep and dropping said shotgun in the water

Sure...I have no about how often this happens both military and civilian. And until something tragic happens it's dealt with in an "administrative" fashion. But when a tragedy or even jus an accident occurs, things get real serious real fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom