65+ Grumpy Old Divers (or NOT Grumpy)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’ll be 70 in May, and my first dive on compressed air was in 1958. I’m an active dive instructor and work as DM a on a dive charter 200 days a year. What makes me grumpy is that you “old grumpy divers” will never buy any new gear. You all insist on continuing to use the same gear you bought in 1979. Same old mask with stiff seals, BC patched with aqua seal, and hoses patched with electrical tape. Weight integrated BC, won’t think of it despite fact ya can’t keep a weight belt on due to a waist long gone. Makes me Grumpy.
P.S. all in jest, but if the shoe fits.........

Not true! I bought a new regulator in 1983! :wink: Aside from that, it's a very accurate description of my dive gear :)

Wow, 50-years-old seems like a kid to me now. I just turned 65 and I'm wondering how many of us there are.

At 72, 65 seems like a kid to me. Headed to Key Largo to do some diving off Tavernier in late October. Not thinking of quiting any time soon.

Turned 65 April (2019). I've found the last couple of years or so I've begun eliminating certain shore sites from my list. Not that I really CAN'T do those entries/exits anymore, but because the effort now is not worth the trouble.

Turned 65 April (2019). I've found the last couple of years or so I've begun eliminating certain shore sites from my list. Not that I really CAN'T do those entries/exits anymore, but because the effort now is not worth the trouble.
I'm just the opposite. As I've become older (than you), I've all but given up boat dives. I no longer want to put up with rigid schedules and crowded dive sites. My buddy and I go to Bonaire every year to shore dive.

70 and just returned from Florida cave country. Dove Little River, Peacock, P3, Cow, Jackson Blue. Scootered LR and JB last dive at Peacock we did the Grand Traverse all dives on rebreathers.
Can't wait to get back :)

Just turned 68 and have been diving for over 28 years. Maybe 700 or so dives. Just got my 12 and 17 tear old granddaughters certified and are taking them on trips which has reinvigorated my love of scuba. It was never really lagging but to see it through those younger eyes makes it take on a whole new life. A little slower on the up take , but I`ll rest when I`m dead!

Back
Top Bottom