Underwater video of anaconda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

АлександрД

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
just found on the internet fields... but cool!

Diver has incredible face to face encounter with giant anaconda in Brazilian river
A scuba diver in Brazil comes face to face with a 7-metre-long giant anaconda while exploring a river.

Filmed on July 29, Bartolomeo Bove and friend Juca Ygarape came across a huge snake lurking in the waters of the Formoso River.

The diving duo film the reptile as it inspects the camera held in front of it before slithering off across the riverbed.

The filmer, Bove, told Newsflare: "The rivers and the bodies of water around the Bonito area are the only places in South America where Anacondas can be found in crystal clear waters, and therefore diving with them is possible.

"As shown in the footage the anaconda swims calm and peaceful, completely indifferent to our presence, some times she comes closer curious about my camera licking the lens.

"The behaviour of the anaconda debunks the myth that it is an aggressive and violent creature that can endanger people's life."

Brave or foolish?
How did they know it wasn't hungry?

A large, very powerful predator that IIRC can eat caimans and capybara, so it stands to reason it's accustomed to seizing fairly large prey in the water. If finding it in relatively clear water is exceptional, stands to reason they often hunt in low-viz. water (which the Amazon is known for). As for it 'licking the camera lens,' snakes use their tongues for detecting their environment; the tongue gathers particles and pulls them back into the mouth for analysis in Jacobson's order (I'm drawing on old memories here, but in a nutshell, a snake smells with its tongue). If that tongue had settled on human skin a few times (like some complacent diver holding a hand out, as some do interacting with octopi), wonder whether the snake would've slithered off?

At least in theory, that looks dangerous to me. As a kid watching Wild Kingdom on t.v., the host and his associate got into an impromptu 'wrestling match' with an anaconda on land, and it was quite a struggle.

Theory and reality don't always agree. The reports (and my limited experience) watching shark feed diving was very at odds to what I've have expected based on what was believed growing up years ago. But I'll let some more people 'test the waters' before I hope in for a face-to-face with a large anaconda.

Richard.

As a kid watching Wild Kingdom on t.v., the host and his associate got into an impromptu 'wrestling match' with an anaconda on land, and it was quite a struggle.

Richard.

I always wondered why Jim never turned around to Marlin Perkins and told him to pound sand when Marlin would tell him to "jump out of the helicopter and wrestle with the anaconda/water buffalo/crocodile"?

Perhaps it is just me, but this video seems a bit over the top. There is no reason to stick the camera's into the snakes face, those shots are pointless and not very good anyway.

Seems to me these two were far too intrusive on the snake and pushing their luck. Intentionally blocking the snakes egress with another camera for example. They're lucky the temperament was apparently docile.

If I ever came across a 7m Anaconda whilst diving I can personally guarantee the viz would have deteriorated VERY quickly!

As we all know,, it can turn into a lot of excrement hitting the rotary air mover in a heart beat when dealing with wild animals!! I still believe in giving them their space when at all possible. Lucky is my thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom