Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are more than welcome to start a thread about that.

This thread was completely different and I would have expected much better people skills and professionalism to have been evidenced.

We don't have to be common. ESPECIALLY, on a thread of this nature or should I say, the nature that this thread started out as.

I don’t think the op was treated poorly at all. His instructor was called out not him. He was even told that although there were bad skills shown, it falls on the instructor to correct them, he’s a student. Many of our points were attempting to point out if an instructor doesn’t hold a student to a high standard, it’s hard to progress.

Either way the op posted an hour long video knowing he could get crap. I think he handled it well and didn’t get much crap. His instructor did. But at the end of the day,if you are going to post a video to social media you better look good or you’ll get torn apart. Even if you look pretty good, you still may. The few times I posted videos I sure as hell made sure there wasnt anything I’d get ripped apart for.

I don’t think the op was treated poorly at all. His instructor was called out not him. He was even told that although there were bad skills shown, it falls on the instructor to correct them, he’s a student. Many of our points were attempting to point out if an instructor doesn’t hold a student to a high standard, it’s hard to progress.

Either way the op posted an hour long video knowing he could get crap. I think he handled it well and didn’t get much crap. His instructor did. But at the end of the day,if you are going to post a video to social media you better look good or you’ll get torn apart. Even if you look pretty good, you still may. The few times I posted videos I sure as hell made sure there wasnt anything I’d get ripped apart for.

I don't get these folks that are showing sympathy for the OP where no one in the these pages of discussions had anything negative to say about the OP, everyone was discussing the instructor and the alleged standards violation(s) committed by this celebrity instructor, nothing to do with the student/OP.

I don't get these folks that are showing sympathy for the OP where no one in the these pages of discussions had anything negative to say about the OP, everyone was discussing the instructor and the alleged standards violation(s) committed by this celebrity instructor, nothing to do with the student/OP.

LOL,, the first post was: Did you and your buddy feel that the training and the skills/knowledge gained, if any, worth it and justify the "propaganda" for the course?

LOL,, the first post was: Did you and your buddy feel that the training and the skills/knowledge gained, if any, worth it and justify the "propaganda" for the course?

That quote has nothing to do with the op. It was pertaining to the instructor. The instructor has a big name. The question was basically asking if the level of instruction equaled the legacy zero to do with the op’s performance. The if any was trying not to assume the op got anything. People have taken courses and not learned anything new.

And??? What is your point here?

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe @BurhanMuntasser ’s first language is not English and maybe that is why he didn’t get the nuances of those words.

FWIW, the word propaganda has a negative connotation and including the words “if any” sounds like you think it’s possible that no skills or knowledge was gained in the course.

I believe that this was pointed out earlier in the thread.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe @BurhanMuntasser ’s first language is not English and maybe that is why he didn’t get the nuances of those words.

FWIW, the word propaganda has a negative connotation and including the words “if any” sounds like you think it’s possible that no skills or knowledge was gained in the course.

I believe that this was pointed out earlier in the thread.

I did explain it clearly a couple of comments below that comment. My comment wasn't about the OP's post but rather about the heavy marketing done by the instructor and his followers.

I did explain it clearly a couple of comments below that comment. My comment wasn't about the OP's post but rather about the heavy marketing done by the instructor and his followers.

I see.

I have been totally wrong! There are scuba police.

The big lessons to be taken away from this thread?
  • Don’t let students record your teaching dives.
  • Edit your meaningful moments of diving down to a few blithering seconds of fish grinding sand.
  • A philosophical difference in diving as seen by an outside observer who was not part of the actual class and thus has no context is perfectly legitimate and completely fair to render absolute judgment. Especially when the instructor in question is not part of the discussion and thus not able to defend himself.
The “oh, we didn’t go after OP” defense is kind of bogus. Several people used the product of his labor to go after an instructor that he clearly admired and thought had done a good job conveying his expertise. He was used because some people have, rightly or wrongly, an axe to grind with his instructor. I am sure he appreciates your consideration.

I seriously doubt he will ever post a video of that detail or caliber again, even if it is on a regular with my friends on a local wreck dive. Without the Chatterton name , this will follow the same trajectory, except targeting the kids. When you tell a guest to “make themselves at home” does not mean they can move in, sleep with your wife and steal your dog. Likewise, the “feel free to point them out” request for input has limits.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom