Video from a Training Dive with John Chatterton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

label the instructor any way you want.

I didn't label him anything at all. None of what you said has anything to do with me. Why don't talk with the folks who did?

@abnfrog - What about instructors with camera? That was actually more what I had in mind.

I'm not sure in other agencies but with PADI I was taught no cameras as an instructor can't be distracted. I think cameras are great for instruction though - just have someone not involved in the training take the video making sure you don't go beyond training ratios.

He wasn't asking for a pat on the back and he is an adult. The folks that objected to parts of the training shown on the video are top notch people and at least one of them is an outstanding diver and instructor who is obligated by his certification to say what he said. The video shouldn't have been published in public in the first place but it was and there was no holding it back then.

I have some strong feelings when it comes to calling out an instructor based on a video of this or that. I'm not sure with TDI but PADI has a procedure to get waivers - I have to believe that TDI does so also. I also have to believe that a well known instructor would have those waivers in place.

@cerich wasn't obligated to post it - he is obligated to report it. Guilty until proven innocent and even at that, he said he'd probably never hear the results of reporting it - so just plain guilty - you gotta love the internet.

He wasn't asking for a pat on the back and he is an adult. The folks that objected to parts of the training shown on the video are top notch people and at least one of them is an outstanding diver and instructor who is obligated by his certification to say what he said. The video shouldn't have been published in public in the first place but it was and there was no holding it back then.
I wasn’t necessarily going after you, but the idea that the video was published and therefore completely fair game to eviscerate the instructor was partly what precipitated my comment. The video only has the students interpretation of what Chatteron was teaching, so it lacks the instructors context. My understanding of the video was that on deep air, minimizing CO2 is very important to this instructor’s philosophy of diving. Is is right? He has more experience than me. Is he being sloppy or making a judgement call based on his diving philosophy? I have no idea. I WASN’T IN THE CLASS. And neither were most of the commentators.
It is times like these that I wish that GUE didn't have such a strong policy against releasing class videos. T
This thread is EXACTLY why there are policies against releasing videos. People can read into the videos pretty much what ever they want. I was just at a professional training and the trainer was adamant that taping was NOT okay. Misstatements and errors and omissions become etched in stone and can boomerang back on the instructor.

I have very strict policy in my courses, no videos or photos of any kind during the course unless I am the one taking the pictures or video. The students may not take videos or photos at all during the course.

I'm not sure in other agencies but with PADI I was taught no cameras as an instructor can't be distracted. I think cameras are great for instruction though - just have someone not involved in the training take the video making

Mask mounted cameras are no distraction, but allows the student sees post dive what the instructor sees. I do like how some agencies like RAID, their instructors often post videos of their courses. It is an incredibly useful tool for feedback. Anyone who doesn’t believe that should take GUE fundies or similar.

Haven’t seen the video, but having a student with a hand mounted camera doesn’t sound wise to me.

While I can't confirm it because the video is gone, I thought it was a mask or head camera.

While I can't confirm it because the video is gone, I thought it was a mask or head camera.
If that is the case, not a big deal in my book

His buddy had a mask mounted one, in the video I remember him saying it was the same as his.

This isn't about Chatterton.

This is about the other instructors that had something to say and the way they said it.

Maybe you and a lot of other (rec divers?) don’t like the message. Off coarse you can learn a lot of an experienced diver. But This isn’t only about learning from an experienced diver.

Have you ever done a 165 feet/49,5 meter wreckdive ?

There is a reason the gas switch isn’t done that way by most people. It doesn’t make sense to verify after the switch. What will you do when you buddy should verify you and he has a failure ? How can your buddy verify that you are breathing from the right tank when he can’t follow the hoses because the are not free anymore. The reason people aren’t doing a gasswitch that way is because a lot of accidents happened with gas switches. It can kill you or your buddy.

Do you think somebody who wouldn’t pass itt or fundamentals should do a 165 feet dive ?

Would you do a 165 feet/49,5 meter dive with the topic starter?

(I would’t do a 165 feet dive with topic starter. I have done that kind of dives with people I have never dived before.)

(I would never publish that kind of movies. It doesn’t matter if it was my buddy or somebody I don’t know. But the instructor did allow him to film during the coarse and the student did publish it.

I don’t like it. But I think the message a lot of experienced techdivers are telling is right.)

look it boils down to this instructors are people good and bad and everything in between , IF he did something wrong and its reported it will be delt with.......... I have taken courses with some of the instructors here on SB they have ranged from poor to great (even had some of the other SBERS on the same course ) I asked them what they liked or disliked about the course ..... as a non instructor ..it matched my opinion ...so for gods sake LET IT FING GO ......we have AOW divers talking about the way an instructor teaches not even BEING THERE FOR CHRISTS SAKES !!!! maybe I wasted the last 38 years teaching should have just stopped at 100 dives they seem to be experts in teaching now an I didn't learn at thing becoming an IT/IE

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom