not a shearwater fan ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I compared an expensive diving computer to an iPhone because people these days don’t know what their priorities are and an expensive cell phone will not do **** for you underwater.

People would buy a $1500 cell phone but go cheap on a diving computer. I don’t get it.
I know I'm late to this but; there are companies that have cases that turns your non lifesaving iPhone into a full functioning, multilevel, lifesaving dive computer. As an added bonus it still takes all those adorable pictures and videos Apple users seem to love. iGills, Scuba Capsule, DiveNav are the ones I know of. Only seen the iGills in use as a camera and backup DC but the guy loved it.

I saw this conversation on YouTube the other day between Trace Malinowski and Ken Kurtis;
Trace Malinowski5 days ago (edited)
I'm dying, Ken. DCS complications. Brain stem hit. Bent off the pier at River Hospital. Taught trimix to 250 ft wreck the day before. Surfaced from 90 footer. BAM! Walked right into hospital. They only gave me O2 through nasal cannula. Chamber 1 hour away. Took them 7 to get me there. Living looks less likely every day.

photo.jpg
Ken Kurtis
5 days ago
@Trace Malinowski - Trace, I am terribly sorry to hear this. More awful news is a week already full of it.

photo.jpg
Trace Malinowski
5 days ago (edited)
Used a Shearwater rather than ratio deco. Brain feels like it's on fire. Sad for the families and lives lost.

From what I have seen and heard Shearwater have a great Rep. I dive most of the time in low viz and cold water. When I dived with a group (8) the other week I was the last one and could read the leaders Perdrix AI. I needed a flashlight for my i300c... I also like the fact of supporting my local Canadians. I'm just waiting to see if Shearwater comes out with something new at the DMA show if not i'm going for a Teric even if I wont use all the features. I saw the aqualung i770 the other day it was nice but I was not as impressed as the Shearwater..

Much more important are things like display, power systems, durability, customer support, etc...

As Dr. Mike says, there is a lot more to a PDC than how it works. Mrs Stoo and I each use a Shearwater. She is very much a recreational diver, bordering on "techreational" with air or nitrox deco. A SW is massive overkill for her... But her SW serves as my backup on more serious dives, including mix.

I had a weird error on my Petral years ago. In what I now know is typical, Lynn Partridge (The Assistant Boss) responded to my email on a holiday Monday. One minute after their office opened on Tuesday, I received a message from a technician who asked me to send it back to them. Three days later, I had it back and according to the parts list, I had a new computer, save the case (including the screen as mine had a minor scratch). The package also included a new padded case, a spare set of straps, a couple of stickers, a cool T-shirt and (wait for it!), a handwritten note basically apologizing for the problem. (All it was was a weird error message, no dives lost.) And did I mention that I was flying Friday for a week's dive vacation?)

Ya, I'll never own another brand unless something drastically changes at Shearwater.

@Stoo Yes. you're right in that there is quite a few things to be taken into consideration with a PDC

You are lucky, in the US/CAN to be able to access Shearwater directly and be given their 5* service. Outside of that region though the rest of us need to go through (SW) appointed repair shops so don't get that level of service, which then evens up the playing field somewhat.

I'd be the first to admit there are things about my Perdix that drive me nuts, and could have been done much better, and are from a personal user preference a distinct negative)

I will say also that my EOn Steel isn't' without fault, and it too has some annoyances.

I dive them both and overall prefer the Eon (old news)

However I've just recommended the Perdix to a friend as the best match for them all things balanced out.

One huge thing I like on the Perdix (and the main reason for me to keep it) is the Surface GF where I can make informed decisions on the fly, if the situation changes.

I am waiting to see what Suunto do with their Buhlmann implementation on the Eon (and to see if SW bring out a "newer Perdix" in the imminent future before I put all my eggs in one basket

If I had it to do over I'd probably go the Shearwater route but the mermaids tricked me into the Uwatec/Scubapro line. I have a Luna and a G2. I generally dive the Luna as my backup. In July I did an ostracod dive on Bonaire and the G2 was so bright I thought it would keep the little buggers from coming out so I had to put it against my chest.

I'm doing another ostracod dive next month and I'll have to remember to stick the G2 in my pocket and use the Luna for that that dive.

I saw this conversation on YouTube the other day between Trace Malinowski and Ken Kurtis;
I'm dying, Ken. DCS complications. Brain stem hit. Bent off the pier at River Hospital. Taught trimix to 250 ft wreck the day before. Surfaced from 90 footer. BAM! Walked right into hospital. They only gave me O2 through nasal cannula. Chamber 1 hour away. Took them 7 to get me there. Living looks less likely every day.

View attachment 539760
Ken Kurtis5 days ago
@Trace Malinowski - Trace, I am terribly sorry to hear this. More awful news is a week already full of it.

View attachment 539761
Used a Shearwater rather than ratio deco. Brain feels like it's on fire. Sad for the families and lives lost.

It's all messed up isn't it, I was impressed when Trace extended the Malin signature a while back
and people just don't know, like a ******* road hump, slow down a bit and just keep on driving!

http://www.tecvault.t101.ro/Standard-TMX-Mixex.-Ratio-Deco..pdf

View attachment 539760
Ken Kurtis5 days ago

View attachment 539761

This is confusing appearing in youtube comments about the Conception fire a few days ago..is he talking about the incident that happened in Oct 2018 or a new incident? He talked about River hospital O2 administration and a 7 hour wait to get to chamber after 2018 hit on his FB page. Trace Malinowski

Initially I, too, was confused by that post until I got to the part about using a Shearwater caused his brain to catch fire and then it all made sense. !! ?.

Back
Top Bottom