How about them groupers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @msbovary

Did Starfish get out today? If yes, I'm very jealous. I did not get down today until about noon.

Jupiter Dive Center is not going out tomorrow, marine forecast has significantly deteriorated to 5-7, occ 9.

I still have Sat-Wed, hoping for the best :)

We did go out! The seas were 'sporty', I think 4ish with some 6". But it was fun and the viz was good (not great). We didn't do the Castor, but went to the Budweiser/ Sailfish Wrecks. There was no current and everything was pretty brown. There were 5 Goliath's on the Bud, thumping away, I've never been around when they were that active. The 2nd dive was in the inside ledge of the reefs and the water was much clearer with a southern current we could drift. Some guys drifting on the outer deeper side of the reef said that area was crystal clear
Very nice dives, and the Starfish crew was excellent! But that's max seas for me, anything more and I'm just too sick to enjoy. I was scheduled on a full moon dive Friday, (canceled) and the group I was diving with over the weekend has canceled due to the weather. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to wait out the weather or go home and try again in October...

Thanks @msbovary

I won't be diving tomorrow, hope to for the rest of the week. I haven't been on the Bud for quite a while. Your news regarding the outside reef is exciting.

Take care and good diving, Craig

Yea, Jupiter recorded a 50 Mile per Hour wind gust this afternoon. Even the green boat that always goes out said eff-it.
It's funny cause yesterday some divers had 50ft of viz and quick cleaning currents.

How are things looking for this weekend?

Today, Friday’s forecast is extremely unpleasant, and calls for winds and seas to begin to moderate on Saturday mid-day. Things look to be quite mild beginning on Monday and continue to be so through most of the coming week.

These recordings are what I just found for my home port, Haulover Inlet, on windfinder.com. I suggest that you give that site a visit for reasonable reliable forecasting information.

Haulover is about 50 miles south of WPB, and presume that the forecast there as well as Jupiter and Boynton Beach, all prime Goliath sites, will be similar.

How are things looking for this weekend?
I know you're diving JDC Sat and Sun. This is just my opinion and you should call the shop.
Today (Fri) is 41 MPH east winds,,,,,BUT THAT'S GOOD !! It is shoving and pushing all that crystal clear deep blue water in shore. Viz Wednesday was almost normal.
With Saturday(14th) still dealing with the tropical storm on top of us {but moving away fast}, I don't think anyone is going to run.
Now on Sunday(15th) the storm moves to north Florida and winds switch around to the southwest. This will flatten out the seas to 2-3's.. I'd bet that JDC will run on Sunday and well as most of the operators.
With weather nothing is every 100% exact, but I'd guess that it will be the best day of the weekend to dive.
Let us know how you do !!

Welp, we got up early to be at JDC for our three tank dive, and they called it while we were in the shop. :(

We are now trying to do an afternoon run with Boynton. Fingers crossed we get good news when they call back!

The outlook has rapidly changed from bad to worse for this upcoming week

The dive ops are really taking a hit not being able to go out since Sept 1 or so...

I was hoping for a dive with JDC Tuesday, but it's not looking good

I just got a call from the good folks at JDC, informing me that tomorrow afternoon's trip, (Monday, Sept. 16th), has been cancelled. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get out sometime next week, but am not overly optimistic.

We ended up down at Pompano Dive Center for what was going to be a double dip at Castor. We ended up diving a wreck nearby due to some fisherman parked over Castor. It was a wreck that no one on the boat had ever dived. We saw at least a couple of Goliaths, and it was a great first taste of Florida diving.

Our next trip was to Castor, and wow! There were a ton of Goliath groupers!

It was an amazing couple of dives, and I was very impressed with Pompano. We were the least experienced divers on the boat, with 220 dives each. Rebreathers made up half the boat, which was a new experience for us. It’s always an interesting experience when you feel like the novice of the group, but Adam and Andre made us feel very comfortable.

I would dive with them again in a heartbeat.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom